• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2-stroke oil,what works,what doesn't

reyn3545

100cc
Capt. Roll.. I saw your rebuild thread earlier.. nice job! As for the state of your piston and cylinder, they are certainly in good condition, and very little buildup on the top of the piston and head. If you're happy with the Stihl, stay with it.

I've used Redline for years. A few years ago, I pulled the heads off of my DA170 for a quick look. I ran the fuel mix at 40:1 ever since it was new, and there were probably 15 gallons through the motor. Honestly, there was not a bit of buildup on the piston, and no scarring on the cylinder walls. The head was darkened a little, but there was no buildup, you could clearly see the arrow on the piston top pointing to the exhaust port. That sold me on Redline for as long as they keep making the stuff!

henry b

50cc
I don't get to fly as much as I would like so for the past two seasons I have been using VP SEF 94 @40:1 so far so good .Keeps forever. A little pricey if you fly a lot .I am lucky to go through 10 gallons a year on my gassers

TiredOldMan

New to GSN!
Gotta have an oil thread just to assure conflict.

Bel Ray oils are pretty "dirty" for our engines, especially when using less than 32-1 ratios. Run lean, either MC-1 or H1R will leave behind a lot of hard carbon due to a breakdown of the chemistry. OTH, the scored cylinder was probably due to the carb ingesting a small rock and passing it through the crankcase. Unless your buddy uses an air filter on his carb it's impossible to argue against that premise. Carbs sit behind propellers and propellers kick up a lot of debris from runways when they start spinning, which goes straight to the carb, which is sucking stuff in. Others sit inside the engine box and absolutely everyone makes sure the inside of their fuselage is completely free of debris like small screws, nuts, washers, and zip tie cut offs, right;)

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I just can't believe we made it 10 pages and almost 200 posts without Marvel Mystery Oil coming up!

Pennzoil air cooled or Stihl for me, but any brand name oil designed for 2-stroke engines mixed properly will do the job. I got a hundred things to worry about on my plane and 2-stroke oil ain't one of them!

kwilson

30cc
Cant forget about this great product

Analube_7a8a1a_314568.jpg

For best results, the brand and mix of oil is directly related to the brand and model of your radio system and sometimes the brand of servos will have an impact on up line sagging,,,,:)