• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2-stroke oil,what works,what doesn't

reyn3545

100cc
Why is it that threads like this never really die?

If you feel like using 40 or 50 to one.... Go for it. DLE wouldn't warranty a failure anyway. Lots of people were getting out on this ice a few years ago and running 80 and 100 to 1 mixes. I think the big manufacturers finally put a stop to that trend.

30 to 1 is probably just going to slime up the bottom of your plane with that extra 10 anyway!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kd4jaz

New to GSN!
Why is it that threads like this never really die?

If you feel like using 40 or 50 to one.... Go for it. DLE wouldn't warranty a failure anyway. Lots of people were getting out on this ice a few years ago and running 80 and 100 to 1 mixes. I think the big manufacturers finally put a stop to that trend.

30 to 1 is probably just going to slime up the bottom of your plane with that extra 10 anyway!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thanks...BTW my DLE 111cc had a catastrophic bearing failure after about 7 months (running Penzoil 32:1) and DLE/Tower Hobbies replaced the engine with a brand new one "no questions asked", I've been running this 111 for 3+ years with no issues.

Alpha20

50cc
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452889128.281881.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Serious question so beware

I just bought a new/used plane and the guy I bought it from gave me a container of Lawn Boy and a container of Amsoil 2 stroke oil. The Lawn Boy is going to get used in my lawn care stuff this summer, I'll probably use the Amsoil in my planes after using Stihl Ultra until now.

The Amsoil container says to use a 100 to 1 ratio for normal use and 40 or 50 to 1 for extreme conditions. I see some of you guys saying you use 32:1 which is a lot of oil per unit of gas and the Stihl Ultra recommends 50 to 1 for their equipment which is pretty high end stuff.

So what gives?

FWIW;
oilgasratiochart2stroke.jpg

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Serious question so beware

I just bought a new/used plane and the guy I bought it from gave me a container of Lawn Boy and a container of Amsoil 2 stroke oil. The Lawn Boy is going to get used in my lawn care stuff this summer, I'll probably use the Amsoil in my planes after using Stihl Ultra until now.

The Amsoil container says to use a 100 to 1 ratio for normal use and 40 or 50 to 1 for extreme conditions. I see some of you guys saying you use 32:1 which is a lot of oil per unit of gas and the Stihl Ultra recommends 50 to 1 for their equipment which is pretty high end stuff.

So what gives?

FWIW;
oilgasratiochart2stroke.jpg
Use the Lawn Boy on your weed eater and the Amsoil for weed killer. Keep running the Stihl in your airplane engines.

camss69

70cc twin V2
I wouldn't run the amsoil in anything...

If I had* to run it I'd run it 40:1 I guess...

I heard recently DA stopped recommending Stihl as well, might want to snopes that one though.. Saw it on a message board somewhere.

Just gonna stick with Redline.

#oilthreads #ohthecontroversy

Last edited:

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I've been using the Stihl oil for some years now, but working on trying to get the Husqvarna rep to sponsor me with some oil. Anyone ever try their synthetic oil in airplane engines?