• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2-stroke oil,what works,what doesn't

IMG_20141004_164233101-1.jpg

IMG_20141004_164239216-1.jpg

Bunky.F.Knuckle said
Terryscustom said
tylerzx9r said
I have used Bell Ray ever since "FBI" got me ADDICTED to giant scale, until last season I bought a new bottle and noticed they changed the mix ratio for oil per gallon required. I called DA and they were aware of that already. The oil ratio was in terms made to need more oil per Gal. Since this was an issue with other pilots not knowing of the change, I switched to Redline. The only reservation I have is that it leaves more of a black mess on my plane. Some people tell me this is because it is cleaning the other crap out, but I am using it in a new DA, so that is not true! I do like the performance.

I switched this Spring too, and I think I do notice a little more crap on the plane but I'm also half way through a 5 gallon jug that will make 95 gallons this year so maybe I'm just flying more!!!!
fist-pump-and-yes-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think I've only flown 20-25 gallons this year..  Sthil ultra at 50:1.
The HP ultra for me too. 40:1. This DA170 has around 300 12-15 minute flights on it.

I see the "what oil is best" treads over and over. I enjoy them but kind of smile a bit. Fifteen years ago Amsoil 50 to 1 was king. It was advertised to be used at 100:1. I have friends that use it till this day. Maybe if you fly everyday you might get your engine all gooey a bit. I bought a DA 100 in 2000. Then I flew 2-3 times a week and as the years went by less and less. I followed the guys at my field through Amsoil, Klotz, Redline, a pain to get, and finally Stihl, easy to get. Finally sold the engine this summer. The engine started every spring like I ran it the day before and made you smile every minute it was used. I set the needles once after break in and never touched them. All the oils I used were at 50:1 ratio. I see most are now going to 40:1. Now days my engine is a DLE 35 and I used Stihl 32:1 during break in and 40:1 after break in.

Man, I love flying these planes and hearing these engines.

I guess the morale of this story is don't mess with the needles every time you go to the field or hear a gurgle every now and then. And don't run them lean.
smug.png

ZRX212

New to GSN!
Back when I could afford the good engines(3W, DA, D+B) I used Klotz a lot, then switched to stihl ultra
for a long time, all at 50:1, the stihl is getting harder to find and Ace hwd wants to much$$.
My DLE55 used 11 gals of Stihl this summer, all at 40:1, motor runs excellent, just switched to Redline,
at almost 1/2 the cost and available at my local Cycle Gear store, can tell any difference in performance,
I'm assured by the redline users it will run cleaner !!
BTW my DLE came in my well used Pilot Extra 300, previous owner used Redline, I estimate well over
200 flights on this Engine(I got 9o), both good synthetic oils IMO.
BTW my 1st post in a oil thread :banana-dance:
mypic2.png

Back when I could afford the good engines(3W, DA, D+B) I used Klotz a lot, then switched to stihl ultra
for a long time, all at 50:1, the stihl is getting harder to find and Ace hwd wants to much$$.
My DLE55 used 11 gals of Stihl this summer, all at 40:1, motor runs excellent, just switched to Redline,
at almost 1/2 the cost and available at my local Cycle Gear store, can tell any difference in performance,
I'm assured by the redline users it will run cleaner !!
BTW my DLE came in my well used Pilot Extra 300, previous owner used Redline, I estimate well over
200 flights on this Engine(I got 9o), both good synthetic oils IMO.
BTW my 1st post in a oil thread :banana-dance:View attachment 1809

I've been buying my Stihl Ultra HP off eBay, in bottles that make 2.5 gallons. Its good for me, since my can is a 5 gallon can. I think I have enough oil here at the house for another 30 gallons or so.... I bought it 2 years ago over the winter, and got enough to make 45 gallons of fuel.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Not going to read the whole thread so I'm sure this has already been posted.

Unlikely that there is anything better than Stihl Ultra HP or Redline at the dilution ratio recommended by the engine manufacturer. I'm going to pull the jugs off my DLE-111 this evening for a 25 gallon inspection and to determine if anything needs to be replaced. Looking forward to seeing the internal surfaces and the deposit formation. Will post some pictures later.