• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

12S power systems ideas and options

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Ray, if Matt doesn't need it, i'll take it off your hands. Me thinks i'll need one soon :D

Wow sorry Gary I just sold it from RCG from a post today. I sent you that PM I wish you PM'd me back. If it falls through I will let you know

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks for shedding some light on this new motor. Ken knows that I have a 50cc airplane sitting here waiting for this motor for quite some time now, and I know the it will all be worth the wait.

I need to clear up a few things, tho. Matt mentioned 4800-4900 Watts on 70A, which is a virtual impossibility without 17 cells, so I want to make sure that you prolly meant 100A.

Second, the weight is going to be important to many guys like me and Ohio Av8tor because if the all-up weight of this motor is near the reported 34.1 oz, then the market for this motor expands quite a bit. The Hacker A60-16M I put in the EF 78 Extra 300 was 35.52 oz (1007g) all up with the 16MM cage mount, hardware, and 6.5mm bullets. So if this motor is close, it means that it can mount and balance with no problem, and with a 200Kv on 12S 4000mAh batts, should swing the 22x10 to 4100W and almost 30 pounds of thrust on a cool 90A -- for 6 mins, easy. The plane came in at 13.45 pounds, but Tom flew the beefed up gas version of the 300 at 14 pounds at the Deland Huckfest last year and you'd never know it from the posted video.

Considering that the 78 MXS may be out around the same time (87 inches with the added wing tips, is my understanding), the motor should be a no-brainer to power that plane right away with the EXP fun-size control surfaces. Of course, we all like silly power here, and that's why I'm even bringing it up. Not to get ahead of my own enthusiasm for this motor, I'd love to also try a 3-blade on it, and perhaps a 20x10, 21x8, or maybe a 21x10 PJI-E, since the plane probably won't easily clear anything bigger than a 22, so making it up on 3-blades may be a possibility.

I need to clear up a few things, tho. Matt mentioned 4800-4900 Watts on 70A, which is a virtual impossibility without 17 cells, so I want to make sure that you prolly meant 100A.

Yeah, that caught my eye too. But then I'm fluent in Manta, i.e. translation:. I believe Matt meant he should be getting 4800~4900 watts but that something was limiting the max. current to 70A, probably his ESC. Obviously he should be seeing 110A or more.

I'm really pumped with the immanent release of Ken's new motor. This will be a very versatile power plant for super cool running in a 78" 3D airframe, or prop up to 5KW for a 50cc airframe. Man, that's going to be nice.

gyro

GSN Contributor
it sure is purdy!
attachment.php

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
It would be nice if someone could measure the rotor width too. I went to subsonic to see what the rotor width for the 5320 was just to get an estimation for how the stator width designation translated to the motor width, but the motor width is blank. My Q80-7M hacker, at about 89mm wide, would not fit in the 78 without surgery, or without lowering the datum line. The AUW of the 7M was also aout 1157g.