• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

12S power systems ideas and options

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
12S has always been my choice for when the larger Laser or MXS came out. In part because I have a lot of 6S packs but mostly because I can fly everyday at work. It is a long drive to get to a field I can fly my gas. That is why I sold my DA60 Extra. I reconsider the though of gas because there are not a lot of power options for 12 S and there a lot of confusing conversations going on at RCG about prop stall with high pitch high rpms.

I had a Q80 12S 89 Slick for a short time before selling the power system. I think a plane purpose built for this will be better with a battery tray and canopy with latches instead of bolts.

The motor I have settled on is the A60-8S. I will try a 22x10 first I think. That motor is designed for 12S, so you will be able to find a prop for it.

I have not procured the motor yet. I had a A60-5S on 8s on a 78 extra which I ran all sorts of props from 20x10 to 24x12. Just a matter of finding the correct one for the amp draw you want and how good your packs are. My packs were weak and I had to use the 24" props to get the watts.

You can call Aeromodel about this motor.

I see this sidebar warranted it getting divided off into its own thread.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have not procured the motor yet. I had a A60-5S on 8s on a 78 extra which I ran all sorts of props from 20x10 to 24x12. Just a matter of finding the correct one for the amp draw you want and how good your packs are. My packs were weak and I had to use the 24" props to get the watts.

You can call Aeromodel about this motor.

I see this sidebar warranted it getting divided off into its own thread.

Just seeing this topic come up frequently across the forum, felt like it was time it got its own home :)

Just seeing this topic come up frequently across the forum, felt like it was time it got its own home :)

Great idea Gary. I'm already thinking about a 12S setup for the new EF airframe offerings coming up in 2014.

Is the Ken Young 50cc class electric motor going to be part of this thread? Eagerly awaiting more details and specs:)

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great idea Gary. I'm already thinking about a 12S setup for the new EF airframe offerings coming up in 2014.

Is the Ken Young 50cc class electric motor going to be part of this thread? Eagerly awaiting more details and specs:)

I think we can talk about it here, but I'm betting Ken will log in and make a thread for it at some point.
We spoke today, and there's some really nice specs that I asked [MENTION=81]Ken Man[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8]Manta[/MENTION] to post soon. [MENTION=95]Aeroplayin[/MENTION], we should have some info online soon!

Manta

70cc twin V2
I think we can talk about it here, but I'm betting Ken will log in and make a thread for it at some point.
We spoke today, and there's some really nice specs that I asked [MENTION=81]Ken Man[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8]Manta[/MENTION] to post soon. [MENTION=95]Aeroplayin[/MENTION], we should have some info online soon!

I am waiting on permission to make thread. 50cc Motrolfly motor be solid.. Gonna run a few more packs this coming weekend then do a rewind to push it. The torque is fantastic. I need to get my paws on a gecko esc or something of the sorts. I believe the castle edge 120 is limiting the power somehow. According to my numbers,we should be a few more watts. 4800-4900 aint bad for only about 70 amps hehehe.. hellur mr efficient motor. :) The game changes in about January. I might could be talked in to posting a pic of this motor maybe this coming weekend. ( its a booger taking the cowl off an 89 slick..)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am waiting on permission to make thread. 50cc Motrolfly motor be solid.. Gonna run a few more packs this coming weekend then do a rewind to push it. The torque is fantastic. I need to get my paws on a gecko esc or something of the sorts. I believe the castle edge 120 is limiting the power somehow. According to my numbers,we should be a few more watts. 4800-4900 aint bad for only about 70 amps hehehe.. hellur mr efficient motor. :) The game changes in about January. I might could be talked in to posting a pic of this motor maybe this coming weekend. ( its a booger taking the cowl off an 89 slick..)

Matt, I think [MENTION=26]Ohio AV8TOR[/MENTION] is selling a Gecko 120A HV....

If only there was a 50cc airframe that was truly built for electric. One of the clubs is installing 24V charging off of solar at one of the close fields so big electric is going to be a bit more practical for me. There are a lot of 700 heli guys there and the president is pretty good as well ;)