• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
I finally had a chance to maiden my Timber after having finished it a week ago and then nothing but crappy weather kept me grounded. she is fun so far. Lots of adjusting on the expo and rates, but handles good. I definitely need to try a lighter battery. She is too heavy to STOL and be nimble in the air like I like. Two things for sure.
1. I REALLY wish they would make a much better articulating landing gear that has more height/ground clearance and also much softer shocks/springs so that it soaks up rough terrain and STOL landings better. The Xcub gear kind of suck! I might have to do some serious hacking on them. 2. also, I really don’t like the yellow color scheme on this plane. The more I ha e had it and look at it, I wish they would have done a red and black scheme, like what I saw on some of the prototype planes. How hard do you think it would be to replace or cover over all the areas that are yellow on this plane? I have never covered a plane before, so I’m really not sure how I would do it.
Anyway, those are my thoughts so far. Looking forward to tuning, and trying some new things with it as I do my next flights and continue learning this plane.
Cheers!
-Clint

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I finally had a chance to maiden my Timber after having finished it a week ago and then nothing but crappy weather kept me grounded. she is fun so far. Lots of adjusting on the expo and rates, but handles good. I definitely need to try a lighter battery. She is too heavy to STOL and be nimble in the air like I like. Two things for sure.
1. I REALLY wish they would make a much better articulating landing gear that has more height/ground clearance and also much softer shocks/springs so that it soaks up rough terrain and STOL landings better. The Xcub gear kind of suck! I might have to do some serious hacking on them. 2. also, I really don’t like the yellow color scheme on this plane. The more I ha e had it and look at it, I wish they would have done a red and black scheme, like what I saw on some of the prototype planes. How hard do you think it would be to replace or cover over all the areas that are yellow on this plane? I have never covered a plane before, so I’m really not sure how I would do it.
Anyway, those are my thoughts so far. Looking forward to tuning, and trying some new things with it as I do my next flights and continue learning this plane.
Cheers!
-Clint

Glad you got to get her out!

Where is your CG? Still at 4” gotta bring it aft. Flies so much nicer.

I have yet to hit my prop, but I also have 8.75” tires. The gear is meant more for impact protection... I tested this ha ha

It’s a yellow plane... you’d have to recover the whole thing. I like the yellow personally. You’ll grow to like it!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Great you have done the maiden great flying plane. I like the colour scheme and easily seen in the sky. To recover the plane is quite some work and not easy if you have to do it with all the control surfaces still connected.

320CKA

30cc
Getting ready to start my build! This seems to be the 'go to' thread!

Here is my equipment so far:

Scorpion SII-5535-190 (Equal to or better specs than suggested motors, and runs cooler)
12s Lipo. I have some 6s 5000, and just bought some 6s 6200
Jeti Opto ESC
Castle BEC Pro 2.0
Jeti DSM10 Backup power switch with LIFE battery as backup
Savox Servos

I bought the Xcub sprung gear, but am still in a quandary about how to fit the Airtop tires, so will probably initially build it with the stock gear/tires. Any help in this area is appreciated. I *think* the Xcub axles are larger than 8mm? So I would need to have these modified, or somehow source an axle that fits the Airtop bearings. Not sure where I would find those parts.

I bought a 3" Rudder Servo arm, so I'm not sure if that will work or if I will need a 3.5"? This will be my first Pull/Pull setup also - so I'm really cluesless about how to tension the wires, proper setup etc. Could definately use some advice on that.

Thanks!
Brad

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
As you probably know I have the XPWR 40cc in the plane it flies great more than enough power for the plane can hang on the prop and pull out with power to spare. The only thing handling 12s 5 or 6ooo packs at the field is painful for me. Not easy to charge a 12 s pack at the field unless you have 110 AC. 5 to 6 minutes of flying with a plane like this is to short for me.
Pull pull the only thing that is important is that the arm on the servo is exactly the same size as on the rudder. It is always easier to cross the wires in the fuselage it makes the exiting holes much shorter out the side of the fuse and easier to do.
Landing gear is @AKNick area of expertise he has done it and has helped a number of people. I have stock gear and wheels, like the gear hate the wheels but they will do for the meantime.

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

Scorpion SII-5535-190 (Equal to or better specs than suggested motors, and runs cooler)
Jeti Opto ESC
Castle BEC Pro 2.0
Savox Servos

I bought the Xcub sprung gear, but am still in a quandary about how to fit the Airtop tires, so will probably initially build it with the stock gear/tires. Any help in this area is appreciated. I *think* the Xcub axles are larger than 8mm? So I would need to have these modified, or somehow source an axle that fits the Airtop bearings. Not sure where I would find those parts.

I bought a 3" Rudder Servo arm, so I'm not sure if that will work or if I will need a 3.5"? This will be my first Pull/Pull setup also - so I'm really cluesless about how to tension the wires, proper setup etc. Could definately use some advice on that.

Thanks!
Brad

Alright!
You can get different bearing sizes for the AirTop Tires I believe.
X-Cub supplied axels are 5/16" I believe which is basically 8mm. (check post #12,18)
I used a 3.5" offset arm I'm pretty sure. Look up rudder Pull-pull ackermann geometry. You want at least the pulling cable to be tight for positive ackermann, Mine was tight, but the non pulling cable was too slack - so I opted for the offset arm. (check post #147)

Last edited:

Jeti Opto ESC
Castle BEC Pro 2.0
Savox Servos

Thanks!
Brad

welcome to the thread! This is definitely the place for the build. I am using the 7” airtops. I modified the smaller rims from my 6” Dubro bush wheels. I reemed out the center hole to fit the larger axles that come with the Xcub gear. It looks much better than the rims that come with the airtops. I’ll show you some pics of them when I get home. Be prepared. Fitting the gear isn’t plug and play. It will take some modifying and patience.

320CKA

30cc
Thanks!
Issue #1 is going to be my motor does not fit the motor box. I think I'll follow what the guy did with the XPWR using the blazing star standoffs. Reading your frustration snoopy with the 12s setup, I can also use a Scorpion mount that matches the DA50 bolt pattern - so I could possibly go that route in the future as well if I tire of the elecric. (I've only flown electric though, so that would be an entire new adventure).

320CKA

30cc
welcome to the thread! This is definitely the place for the build. I am using the 7” airtops. I modified the smaller rims from my 6” Dubro bush wheels. I reemed out the center hole to fit the larger axles that come with the Xcub gear. It looks much better than the rims that come with the airtops. I’ll show you some pics of them when I get home. Be prepared. Fitting the gear isn’t plug and play. It will take some modifying and patience.

Thanks
I'd like to see your setup. I'd be happy with the 7" Airtops I think. I take it the Xcub axles would not fire the bearings on them?

Thanks
I'd like to see your setup. I'd be happy with the 7" Airtops I think. I take it the Xcub axles would not fire the bearings on them?

no, they don’t fit stock, you’ll have to ream those out as well. I was the one who used the blazing star standoffs and it worked flawlessly! I love this setup. So easy to do and very strong.