• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
The person that is cutting a kit for me just got back to me with a price and delivery date. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I can start gluing parts.
In the meantime time been making a set of wing bags for the twin . Well after a lot of difficulties one bag is done. Trying to sew four layers canvas and two layers of quilting at once is very difficult on a standard sewing machine, after doing some research I discovered that I need a walking foot sewing machine to do this type of sewing. Does anyone one know anything about sewing machines if they do can you give me a recommendation. Thanks

Nice! I've been tinkering away on the otter and the ridge runt. Managed to make a styrofoam plug and a glass some carbon over it for a canopy. I think I'm going to make a thin layer of glass over that and add some finishing resin over it.

Canvas is pretty tough stuff, so you'll need a machine that can pierce through it easily. I haven't tried canvas, but I use a Brother ?6000? sewing machine.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Just put a layer of finishing resin on my custom glass/Kevlar/carbon ridge runt canopy after digging out the foam, dissolving with acetone, and wiping clean. So far not too shabby! The blue Kevlar/carbon looks neat.
C40F83BF-A329-48A8-BA90-645C037E64AD.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just put a layer of finishing resin on my custom glass/Kevlar/carbon ridge runt canopy after digging out the foam, dissolving with acetone, and wiping clean. So far not too shabby! The blue Kevlar/carbon looks neat.
View attachment 118704
Look good and thanks for the info.

The wing bags are done. Now it just a matter of time when my parts show up. This will give me something to do and keep me of the streets for a while.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok need to ask a question to the aeroplane experts. Did a Chipmunk ever have retracted gear.
Yes - Art Scholl modified the chipmunk to create what we all know and love as the "Super Chipmunk" and then modified it further to make the gear aft retractable. There is a really cool video on him talking about it.... I'll have to find it

FOUND IT! Start at the 16min mark:

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Yes - Art Scholl modified the chipmunk to create what we all know and love as the "Super Chipmunk" and then modified it further to make the gear aft retractable. There is a really cool video on him talking about it.... I'll have to find it

FOUND IT! Start at the 16min mark:

He was a genius and amazing pilot taking too soon. A flying buddy of got to talk with Art alot when he was a kid and his dad was the one who painted all of Art's planes.