• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well been busy for last couple of weeks. I had 30cc electric motor and 130 Esc laying around looking for a plane. So I decided to do something a little crazy. Designed a Quickee 500 plane to fit a 30cc electric motor. Scaled it up and made the necessary changes to fit the batteries and the Esc and have an aces door to the batteries. What I did is keep the wing cube loading the same.
9A38A2EC-A128-40EA-94AF-1956DE8453A3.jpeg

BalsaDust

Very nice @Snoopy1. Funny I have been working on a design as well. This is a slightly scaled up version of the ChubCub that I designed many years ago. Designed it with two wing options and both use the same root rib so both wings can be built and changed out. I think the Hershey bar style wing is still gonna be quite wild in the air but should be a little tamer and the tapered one. I'm finalizing the cut part sheets this week and will be having a guy laser cut me a short kit.

plans.JPG
parts.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Very nice @Snoopy1. Funny I have been working on a design as well. This is a slightly scaled up version of the ChubCub that I designed many years ago. Designed it with two wing options and both use the same root rib so both wings can be built and changed out. I think the Hershey bar style wing is still gonna be quite wild in the air but should be a little tamer and the tapered one. I'm finalizing the cut part sheets this week and will be having a guy laser cut me a short kit.

View attachment 118674 View attachment 118675
Looks interesting. I am always Surprised how long it takes and how much back tracking I do as new thoughts come to mind.

BalsaDust

Looks interesting. I am always Surprised how long it takes and how much back tracking I do as new thoughts come to mind.
Yes sir for sure takes time. I have well over 100 hrs in this one. And getting it ready for laser cutting takes even longer as I have to offset all my lines to compensate for the cut of the laser.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Other than trying to get my Ender3 printer calibrated correctly, I’ve been going a bit old school. Sorta…

Downloaded plans for a ridge runt on outer one and made my own ribs to modify the airfoil to a MH32 using airfoil plotter. I’m getting there!

Ill upload a picture whenever GSN will let me….:mad: Six failed attempts.

61C97674-19DD-4287-92B9-3D692DD8C9BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I decided to look this morning to see the amount of time in these plans. It shows 4 days and 22 hours of editing time.
It takes me a little longer I only do it once in a while so I need to re-educate my self every time. By the time the drawing is done I am back up to speed again.
I am lucky the person that cuts my parts I do not need to compensate for cutting width his software takes care of that.

BalsaDust

It takes me a little longer I only do it once in a while so I need to re-educate my self every time. By the time the drawing is done I am back up to speed again.
I am lucky the person that cuts my parts I do not need to compensate for cutting width his software takes care of that.

Thats nice that his software does that. The guy that will be cutting for me has had his laser for well over 15 years at this point and is probably still running older software. I know the guy I had CNC Router cut me some parts had software that could do it. He just needed me to color code the lines for outside and inside cuts.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The person that is cutting a kit for me just got back to me with a price and delivery date. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I can start gluing parts.
In the meantime time been making a set of wing bags for the twin . Well after a lot of difficulties one bag is done. Trying to sew four layers canvas and two layers of quilting at once is very difficult on a standard sewing machine, after doing some research I discovered that I need a walking foot sewing machine to do this type of sewing. Does anyone one know anything about sewing machines if they do can you give me a recommendation. Thanks