• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
THE BEHEMOTH YAK (2) GETS NEW WHEELS!:way_to_go:
As most of you remember, I installed new Airman wheels on the new Behemoth Yak (2) when I put her together. One from the previous Yak was damaged beyond repair so I had to pick up a new set. Well, I used the Dubro 5.00 TL Tires on the new set of wheels for the big Yak. I liked them just fine, but somehow looking at them was rubbing a raw spot on my brain. They looked great, just felt they were a little too small for that size of bird. I acquired my third set of Airman wheels and got to thinking...how about if I go to a larger tire? Should work right? Well, I ordered up some Dubro 5.50TL tires and they finally arrived today.

20171219_195805.jpg 20171219_195812.jpg

I got busy installing the new 5.5" tires on the Airman wheels. Wow, what a chore. Who would have known that 1/2" would make that much of a difference? Well it did. A bit difficult getting them off the original plastic wheels. But finally got them off. Installing them on the Airman wheels is not that difficult thankfully. Pretty much like the 4.5" I used on my original design White Rose wheels that are now on the Baby Yak. The same as the 5" originally installed on the replacement wheels. Lube up the outside side walls of the tire with dish soap and slide them over the beads of one side of the wheel and then push them on the rest of the way. Seating the beads and making sure they are uniformly fitting to the wheel.

20171219_203518.jpg

I was quite surprised to discover that 1/2" does in fact make a "LOT" of difference in appearance and over all looks. I think I like these much better for the big Yak.

20171219_203531.jpg

Well, now that the first one is out of the way and installed on the Pilot Yak, its time to get busy on the second wheel and tire. Just like before, remove the tire from the original plastic wheel, cut the inside of the tire away at the precise diameter so they fit the new Aluminum Airman Wheels. I used my razor knife to cut both sides of the tire as before. Then my three inch balsa saw to complete the cut. These 5.5" are much wider than the 5".

20171219_211850.jpg

Once the tire was installed, time for a bath and towel dry.

20171219_213344.jpg

Bearings installed, tire and wheel dryed off and now ready to install back on the big Yak.

20171219_213530.jpg

I must say, they do indeed look way nicer on the big yak than the smaller diameter wheels. Now I have a brand new set with axles and bearings that I can use as a back up or install on a new plane in the future. The original wheels from the big Yak only had 11 flights on them with over half of the landings on grass at Huckfest. I am going to use these on the new Pilot 40% Extra 330.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Did some post-maiden flight(s) tweaking on the Laser tonight. Adjusted my throttle linkage with a new servo arm to hopefully cure my sensitive throttle problem, bolted up my White Rode tailwheel, slathered up some foamtac inside of the wheelpant I cracked the other night, and finally tightened my loose muffler back up.

25439936_10215981725842914_2061171912942188591_o.jpg
25439950_10215981725322901_7032962242543761099_o.jpg
25587757_10215981725522906_5192552099807323251_o.jpg

Is it the weekend yet?!:oblong:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
THE BEHEMOTH YAK (2) GETS NEW WHEELS!:way_to_go:
As most of you remember, I installed new Airman wheels on the new Behemoth Yak (2) when I put her together. One from the previous Yak was damaged beyond repair so I had to pick up a new set. Well, I used the Dubro 5.00 TL Tires on the new set of wheels for the big Yak. I liked them just fine, but somehow looking at them was rubbing a raw spot on my brain. They looked great, just felt they were a little too small for that size of bird. I acquired my third set of Airman wheels and got to thinking...how about if I go to a larger tire? Should work right? Well, I ordered up some Dubro 5.50TL tires and they finally arrived today.

View attachment 100866 View attachment 100867

I got busy installing the new 5.5" tires on the Airman wheels. Wow, what a chore. Who would have known that 1/2" would make that much of a difference? Well it did. A bit difficult getting them off the original plastic wheels. But finally got them off. Installing them on the Airman wheels is not that difficult thankfully. Pretty much like the 4.5" I used on my original design White Rose wheels that are now on the Baby Yak. The same as the 5" originally installed on the replacement wheels. Lube up the outside side walls of the tire with dish soap and slide them over the beads of one side of the wheel and then push them on the rest of the way. Seating the beads and making sure they are uniformly fitting to the wheel.

View attachment 100868

I was quite surprised to discover that 1/2" does in fact make a "LOT" of difference in appearance and over all looks. I think I like these much better for the big Yak.

View attachment 100869

Well, now that the first one is out of the way and installed on the Pilot Yak, its time to get busy on the second wheel and tire. Just like before, remove the tire from the original plastic wheel, cut the inside of the tire away at the precise diameter so they fit the new Aluminum Airman Wheels. I used my razor knife to cut both sides of the tire as before. Then my three inch balsa saw to complete the cut. These 5.5" are much wider than the 5".

View attachment 100870

Once the tire was installed, time for a bath and towel dry.

View attachment 100871

Bearings installed, tire and wheel dryed off and now ready to install back on the big Yak.

View attachment 100872

I must say, they do indeed look way nicer on the big yak than the smaller diameter wheels. Now I have a brand new set with axles and bearings that I can use as a back up or install on a new plane in the future. The original wheels from the big Yak only had 11 flights on them with over half of the landings on grass at Huckfest. I am going to use these on the new Pilot 40% Extra 330.
Yes that definitely looks better. Good that you posted this I have airman wheels as well not as big, but will just buy a smaller size tier when I need to fix up my wheels thanks.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Did some post-maiden flight(s) tweaking on the Laser tonight. Adjusted my throttle linkage with a new servo arm to hopefully cure my sensitive throttle problem, bolted up my White Rode tailwheel, slathered up some foamtac inside of the wheelpant I cracked the other night, and finally tightened my loose muffler back up.

View attachment 100873 View attachment 100874 View attachment 100875

Is it the weekend yet?!:oblong:
What do you mean is it weekend yet there are some of us poor buggers waiting for spring, there are some real advantages living down there but the fires you guys are having is much worse than the cold, hope it is not your area.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What do you mean is it weekend yet there are some of us poor buggers waiting for spring, there are some real advantages living down there but the fires you guys are having is much worse than the cold, hope it is not your area.

No fires, earthquakes, or heat to speak of down here. My ride in to work this morning was into the low 20's :eek::eek:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well had some material left over and had just enough to make a set of small wing bags for my 20cc Edge. So that is done and the wings are protected.
went to the LHS to see if they had anything new, talked to them about the new Spectrum 12 channel radio. They did not have any yet but have 6 on order there seems to a lot of interest in the radio. 2 people have put their money down to get the radio. It looks like a decent radio and is a 12 channel radio and that is all I need.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well had some material left over and had just enough to make a set of small wing bags for my 20cc Edge. So that is done and the wings are protected.
went to the LHS to see if they had anything new, talked to them about the new Spectrum 12 channel radio. They did not have any yet but have 6 on order there seems to a lot of interest in the radio. 2 people have put their money down to get the radio. It looks like a decent radio and is a 12 channel radio and that is all I need.
12xi... guess it would be ok if it were a transmitter and not an internet solution.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
12xi... guess it would be ok if it were a transmitter and not an internet solution.
Not crazy about some parts of it that will most likely never be used. But the rest of it for the price looks pretty good and I do not have to buy any new receivers. I must say “touch wood” I have never had any failures with Spectrum protocol. One thing is keep the voltage up and use a RF signal analyzer on the first couple of flights and make the necessary changes if required, then very thing works great form then on. ( it is a small device that Spectrum sells and it works well.) and on top of that only ever needed 12 channels. The price is pretty good too. Will wait till spring and see how well it works and see if there are any bugs in the radio.