• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well after many years I got over it purchased a Extra 260 from Aeroworks and it arrived really badly damaged and the canopy did not even come close to fitting. After some time and trying to get Aeroworks to do something about it but they just said that some are better than others and they would not do anything about it so I was pissed off and put the plane to one side for a number of years. ( that is probably why they are no more)Well it is now all together and going to try to fly it soon. Checked the gas tank all was good and started the engine it ran well and everything looks like a go.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well after many years I got over it purchased a Extra 260 from Aeroworks and it arrived really badly damaged and the canopy did not even come close to fitting. After some time and trying to get Aeroworks to do something about it but they just said that some are better than others and they would not do anything about it so I was pissed off and put the plane to one side for a number of years. ( that is probably why they are no more)Well it is now all together and going to try to fly it soon. Checked the gas tank all was good and started the engine it ran well and everything looks like a go.

Best with the Maiden! :attaboy: QB got QC on the DL and now are 86:dancing-poop:. See! I know short hand! Been known to speak some Jive too:rolleyes:

Seriously though good luck. The 260 from what I saw and read where some really good flyers.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I find this type of thing most interesting. With AW some folks got help and some did not and that to me makes no sense at all. I had a buddy that flew AW and was fairly die-hard about them. His planes were really nice and AW seemed to always take care of him with almost a personal touch and it even seemed at times that they went way out of their way to assist him.

It made me wonder when I read about others that could not get them to hardly give them the time of day. That is definitely not a good way to run a business and of course, that affects future sales. Most RC buyers might buy that first one, but won't buy a second one if they don't get any help with quality issues. Covering is one thing, but when canopies, cowls, alignment, and so forth is off, something should be done about it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I find this type of thing most interesting. With AW some folks got help and some did not and that to me makes no sense at all. I had a buddy that flew AW and was fairly die-hard about them. His planes were really nice and AW seemed to always take care of him with almost a personal touch and it even seemed at times that they went way out of their way to assist him.

It made me wonder when I read about others that could not get them to hardly give them the time of day. That is definitely not a good way to run a business and of course, that affects future sales. Most RC buyers might buy that first one, but won't buy a second one if they don't get any help with quality issues. Covering is one thing, but when canopies, cowls, alignment, and so forth is off, something should be done about it.
That is exactly like my deal with Horizon over the Extra 300X I won here. Some people, I should say most people, got treated well and has their issues dealt with, but others like me were told "sorry, but that's within specs", or "if you wanted a nicer airplane you should have bought a composite".

I owned a couple Aeroworks airplanes, and other than being heavy, they were great airplanes, well built, with nice covering and everything fit great. But, then there were the poor souls that bought the 50cc Aeroworks Ultimate that was snapping top wings in half and Aeroworks refused to admit there was any kind of problem or even redesign the wing from what I understand.

Aeroworks did have one thing that was way better than everyone else. Any new guy that was putting together his first gasser I would tell to get on Aeroworks website and look at one of their assembly manuals. They were awesome for step by step instructions with great pictures. Perfect for the first time gasser guy.
When a company get's a bad reputation it's hard to shake. Graphtech is one like that. So many people had problems with them, including me, that it didn't surprise me a bit when they went out. They've got new owners now and are trying to make it work. I ordered a stab tube from them a few days ago. I emailed them first and Cyndi got back to me right away telling me they had it in stock and to give them a call. She was very nice on the phone and said the 12.5mm tube I needed, (Aeroworks stab tube size by the way), was the last one they had, but they are trying to build the stock back up. I think it should be here today. I hope they stick around awhile, we need a place to buy carbon tubes and gear.
I'll get off my soapbox now.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
That is exactly like my deal with Horizon over the Extra 300X I won here. Some people, I should say most people, got treated well and has their issues dealt with, but others like me were told "sorry, but that's within specs", or "if you wanted a nicer airplane you should have bought a composite".

I owned a couple Aeroworks airplanes, and other than being heavy, they were great airplanes, well built, with nice covering and everything fit great. But, then there were the poor souls that bought the 50cc Aeroworks Ultimate that was snapping top wings in half and Aeroworks refused to admit there was any kind of problem or even redesign the wing from what I understand.

Aeroworks did have one thing that was way better than everyone else. Any new guy that was putting together his first gasser I would tell to get on Aeroworks website and look at one of their assembly manuals. They were awesome for step by step instructions with great pictures. Perfect for the first time gasser guy.
When a company get's a bad reputation it's hard to shake. Graphtech is one like that. So many people had problems with them, including me, that it didn't surprise me a bit when they went out. They've got new owners now and are trying to make it work. I ordered a stab tube from them a few days ago. I emailed them first and Cyndi got back to me right away telling me they had it in stock and to give them a call. She was very nice on the phone and said the 12.5mm tube I needed, (Aeroworks stab tube size by the way), was the last one they had, but they are trying to build the stock back up. I think it should be here today. I hope they stick around awhile, we need a place to buy carbon tubes and gear.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
You are right about the AW manuals. I do remember, they were top notch and everything was clear and detailed.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes you are correct there manuals were the best and a lot of company's can take a note on how to do it. I have owned 3 AW planes one was excellent the second well let's just say ok but the third one was a disaster. And from that day never bought another plane from him and never had anything good to say about the company.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Finished up the flying wires on the tail of my Robinhood 99 this afternoon. Couldn't help dragging it outside for a mock-up before I take it all back apart to start sanding and covering.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok boys did something stupid but did not ruin the battery but did ruin the charge plug on one of my 3s batteries. Needs to be replaced where do you guys buy this connection need to buy one.