• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I'll keep that in mind. I'd rather not wait half a year for it.

That reminds me when buying CV-tubes make sure when you spec the size not all tubes are what they say. Some tubes are one inch but some planes the tube is one inch and one inch tube will not fit in one inch sleeve. Some the sleeve is one inch and some times the tube is one inch so if the sleeve is one inch the CV -tube needs to just under one inch.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
That reminds me when buying CV-tubes make sure when you spec the size not all tubes are what they say. Some tubes are one inch but some planes the tube is one inch and one inch tube will not fit in one inch sleeve. Some the sleeve is one inch and some times the tube is one inch so if the sleeve is one inch the CV -tube needs to just under one inch.
Aint that the truth. I bought the correct tube from Aeroworks for an Aeroworks airplane and it was way to big. Some are way heavier than others as well. The 40mm tube I bought for my Carf Extra only weighed 1.2oz less than the aluminum. That was an expensive ounce.

JAG

70cc twin V2
I've been wondering how much lighter a carbon stab tube would be over aluminum. I'd hate to pay for a new tube and only lose an ounce. But I would be worth it for a few ounces.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been wondering how much lighter a carbon stab tube would be over aluminum. I'd hate to pay for a new tube and only lose an ounce. But I would be worth it for a few ounces.
That was the thing about the Carf Extra I talked about in the previous post. I lost the exact same amount of weight on the stab tube as I did on the wing, 1.2oz. The great thing about that is it was 4 to 1 on how much weight I could take out of the nose. So, I lost almost 6 total ounces changing the stab tube. Well worth the money since a 16mm the stab tube was cheap.

JAG

70cc twin V2
That was the thing about the Carf Extra I talked about in the previous post. I lost the exact same amount of weight on the stab tube as I did on the wing, 1.2oz. The great thing about that is it was 4 to 1 on how much weight I could take out of the nose. So, I lost almost 6 total ounces changing the stab tube. Well worth the money since a 16mm the stab tube was cheap.

Yeah I'm crazy tail heavy and looking into every way possible to shed some weight. It may be worth it if I can't lose it any other way. I pulled an ounce out last night of worthless ply and old antennae tubes and a wire way. Someone got way to happy with the glue and foam in the tail.

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

So I had this idea for a while and decided to put it to use. On a couple slabs I have built the counterbalances didn't come out exactly straight with the LE of the stab. Was only noticeable if you put a straight edge against it but still I knew it was there. So on this one I built the stab first but left the LE sticks long. Framed the elevator right to those sticks so it's all in line. Now I only have to cut them free and add the tristock.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
View attachment 84804

So I had this idea for a while and decided to put it to use. On a couple slabs I have built the counterbalances didn't come out exactly straight with the LE of the stab. Was only noticeable if you put a straight edge against it but still I knew it was there. So on this one I built the stab first but left the LE sticks long. Framed the elevator right to those sticks so it's all in line. Now I only have to cut them free and add the tristock.

Great idea Chris.:way_to_go: