• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport The Kool Kanary (Giant Hot Kanary)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yep, the man does nice work!:way_to_go:
Yes he does. Makes ya just a little jealous doesn't it? Oh wait, Your Doug.... naaa, I'm jealous of "BOTH" of you. happy-wink-smiley-emoticon.gif

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
One thing their is a talented bunch of builders on the site. That is what makes It so enjoyable and on top of that they are so willing to help And share their knowledge. Thanks guys must say me getting into 3D has been a pleasure and with help from you guys on building my planes for 3D has been fun, now if only I can fly 3D it would be great.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Looks great BG03. Could you be persuaded to pull a cowl and set of wheel pants from your grandad's moulds for me? I would of course pay for your materials and time.

Thanks,
Tony

Yep I sure can, it will be a week or so as I'm getting ready to spray dope and I can't make fiberglass bust while I'm spraying.

I'll PM you when I can do it :)

Bipeguy03

150cc
She's all covered and has a brush coat of Nitrate and a brush coat of Butyrate.

One thing I'm doing different with the Kanary is I'm going to spray the last 4 fill coats of Butyrate instead of brushing. The Krier looks great but if you look at it close you can see slight brush marks even through the clear.

I want the cover job on my next project to be as close to perfect as I can get it (as I'm thinking I might compete with it) so the Kanary has turned into a bit of a test bed for things I want to try.

So anyway I spent this evening making holders and tomorrow I'll start spraying clear Butyrate. I'll be spraying color before you know it!!

WP_20180123_001.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Why would you spray clear butyrate and not colour butyrate would you not end up needing less coats.

Bipeguy03

150cc
The clear butyrate are the fill coats. Filling in the weave of the fabric. They come before the colored butyrate.

Pigmented dope is heavier than non pigmented dope. So you fill the weave with clear and use as little colored as possible.

I'm spraying the last few fill coats this time because of what I learned doing the Krier. I brushed all of the fill coats for it and only sprayed the color. The end result, while good, wasn't good enough for me. It still had some faint visible brush marks even after sanding and 2 coats of color. You can even kind of see them through the urethane clear.

I don't want brush marks in the Kanary and certainly not on my next project so I'm spraying the fill coats from here out.

This method more closely follows the Ceconite STC (full scale dope and fabric process) as it actually only calls for the first coat of Nitrate to be brushed. Followed by a sprayed coat of nitrate and then 6 coats of clear butyrate, 4-6 coats of silver and 2 coats of color (more color coats if you want a shine because you have to polish it, as its not legal to use clear coat to make it shine, or you have to use urethane paint).

This being a model I'm shinking that to 4-5 coats of butyrate, no silver (UV protection) and as little color as possible to keep it light.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I use to do planes the dope method but after trying Stits I like it better and find it easier to work with and I do agree I don’t brush any coats on any more all are sprayed just easier quicker and it turns out smoother. Did one plane with the silver and never did that again it was heavy and difficult to do it with an Evan colour. Must say it has always been difficult for me to hide the weave it always took a lot of coats and way to much sanding.