• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport The Kool Kanary (Giant Hot Kanary)

Bipeguy03

150cc
Building season is once again upon us, and for me it's time for another scratch built bipe.

Some of you may remember during my Krier Kraft build, that a friend of my Grampa Micky gave me boxes full of plans and molds for some of the airplanes that he and grampa built in the 80s. In those boxes were the plans and the cowl molds for the Kool Kanary.

The Kool Kanary, which was designed by Leon Schulman is just a large scale version of the Top Flight Hot Kanary, and for most of this thread I'll refer to mine as a Hot Kanary. The plans are still available through Model Airplane News if anyone is interested.

So, mine will actually be another Grampa copy. He didn't actually build his, rather rebuilt it from a wreck he bought at a fly-inn. After watching the previous owner doing touch and go loops all day, he finally figure 9'd it. After he stripped the goodies he sold the remnants to papaw. Papaw's intent was to rebuild it and give it to my dad for his first giant scale airplane. But, it didn't quite work out.

During the test flight, April 19th 1987 he lost the radio on climb out. It pitched over and dove straight down from 100 feet at wide open throttle. Not even the tail wheel was salvageable.

So, I'm going to tempt the model airplane gods and try it again 30 years later. One of the biggest reasons for giving it a try is for story that has been told about the Kanary since the day I was born... Yeup, THE day... Because mere hours after that Faithful test flight attempt, I was born.

Here are a few pictures of Grampa's Kanary. Just like the Krier Kraft, I'll be copying his pretty closely.

Sight_2017_10_05_162456_758.jpg

Sight_2017_10_05_162552_481.jpg

Most all of the pictures we have of the Kanary were from before it was finished. The only completed pictures we have of it were from the Winter Model Show his club had at the local JVS.

Sight_2017_10_05_162646_827.jpg

At that show, grampa's and his buddy's Hot Kanarys. His friends paint scheme was exactly the opposite of his. And the Bud Nosen Citabria behind them was my dad's. My dad's Citabira won a trophy at that show, and he thinks he can't build :)

More pics to come shortly.

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Here's a couple more pictures of Grampa's at the club show. These pretty much represent the only pictures we have of his Kanary.

4.jpg

6.jpg

So now some info on the airplane. While it is meant for a 35cc engine it is a rather small airplane with a wing span of only 56 inches, the full scale Warwick Hot Canary only had a 16 foot span which makes this 30% scale. The Fuse length is 61 inches and should have a 1.8 glow to up to a 50cc gas. Now I can't imagine anyone bolting a 50cc to the front of this thing but Grampa's had a Q35, and since we still have 2 Q35's on the shelf (ones dad got while I was building the Krier Kraft) mine will have one too.

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well, I already ordered all of the wood along with 90% of the hardware and covering over a month ago so now it's time to get started.

Now I'm not going to redesign this airplane like I did the Krier Kraft, but I'm also not going to build it 100% according to the plans either. I will describe the changes I'm making as I get to them for those that might want to give building one a go for themselves. Most of my changes will be removing weight and simplifying construction a bit, as well as a little bit of an outline change to make Grampa's cowl fit. Luckily he drew most of his changes on his plans which are the same plans I'm building from.

7.jpg

8.jpg

The plans have some mileage on them, but no sense in buying another set. Besides, it will be fun to build off of the same prints that grampa and his friend Brad did!

9.jpg

The cowl mold and the carb scoop mold, plus a cowl that was in the mold when I got it.

10.jpg

Time to start making templates. Once again I'm using the See Temp material, good thing there wasn't many templates to make because my roll is starting to get pretty thin! lol

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Templates traced and cut out. This is the first change made over the plans, The bottom of the firewall (F-1) was extended almost 1/2" to fit grampa's cowling. the bottom of the fuse aft of the bottom wing saddle will also be lowered a small amount making a straight line from the firewall to the tail post. This will make construction a bit easier as well as give it the same sleek look Grampa and Brad's Kanary's had.

14.jpg

And my wing rib jig is made, there are only 32 ribs which is nothing compared to the 50+ that are in the Krier. Here is also the second change made to the plans. The plans have 2 different wing drawings, bottom strip ailerons only and 4 barn door ailerons. I'm doing bottoms only like grampa, but with a twist. The plans depict 2 different wing ribs for bottom ailerons only, with solid tapered balsa ailerons. I am going to use the top rib through out both wings, and use the aft spars as my aileron cove. This way I can frame the wings up, and then cut the ailerons free so I will have built up ailerons. This will give me almost 8 sq/in more aileron as it will move the hinge line over 1/2" further forward. I will also be using dual aileron servos with hidden trays (like my Krier Kraft) instead of the torque tubes the plan shows.

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Those that followed my Krier build will probably notice the shop is a bit different. Over the last couple of weeks I tore my shop apart and repainted the floors, walls, and work benches. I also built a new bench that is only 20 inches wide and did away with the old 3 foot wide bench against the far wall, this gave me more floor space. I then moved my parts bins and a lot of my hand tools over to the new bench and built a couple of shelves to hold my glues, screw drivers, files, allen drivers ect. This allowed me to spread out my power tools more, all in all I now have more work space, and that makes me happy :)

15.jpg

The new bench, with the shelves for my glues and hand tools as well as another light (you cant have enough light in a shop).

16.jpg

Lots more space around the power tools now, all this stuff used to be crammed on to one end of this bench! Plus I made some shelves for some more tools and hung some peg board for parts.

I still have to finish up the small room, and clean the hangar (literally the T hangar that is outside of the double doors) so the Kanary will be a little slow moving for a couple more days.

Last edited: