• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
15352030404152507242035418494880.jpg
Brrr.... just a tad on the cool side this morning. But I'm now on vacation. Just not going to waste any day light. Taking the red headed beast Edge out for a date.

I'm going flying!
flying-toy-airplane-smiley-emoticon.gif

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
For me the way that I enter them is I will slow my plane down to just above a stall and then I will start pulling back on the elevator to push the tail down and bring the nose up. Once I have a close angle of attack, I will push left aileron to begin the plane rolling left. As the wings come from level to 45 degrees before vertical I will start adding right rudder continuing the role holding the aileron hard over the whole time, I will start relaxing Rudder and implementing down elevator. Continuing the role when the plane comes out of inverted and the left-wing comes to 45 degrees, I relax the elevator and start pulling in left rudder. Has the plane continues to roll and the Wings come back towards level I will start relaxing left Rudder and start implementing up elevator. Rolling to the right is just the opposite of that. You start with right aileron go to Left Rudder down elevator right rudder up elevator. Sometimes you will have to give a burst of throttle to keep the nose attitude correct with the angle of attack you want. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. That's why I still do them up high. But they are getting so much easier when you just don't think about it and just like Nike says, just do it!

Thanks to you and Jetpainter for the support from the way you gentleman explain it is almost a rhythm that you need to teach yourself. When I do a rolling circle I have time rhythm that works for me so I will have come with something to do slow rolling harriers. Thanks guys

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Prop hanging on sim is doable but I am struggling with what I belive it is called a-harrier. This is rolling the aeroplane slowly across the field at low height and tilted up at about 45 degrees. If it is can someone give some pointers how to get started because I am have difficulties with this one. Hay guys I haven’t even got to the field with this one yet.
You need a Crack Yak! super easy way to learn this is on a foamy. They are close and slow enough for you to make a correction.
I like to tell people to do a slow roll, with every pass slow the plane down, You will then see what input you will need to keep the plane flying in a strait line (like a four point roll, except it's a smooth roll). Keep slowing the plane down until you are eventually forced to keep the nose high to maintain a strait line ie: high alpha. Congrats you are now doing a rolling harrier. The circle will be the biggest challenge, once you get to about 2/3 you will rely on your muscle memory to complete the circle until you are proficient. The plane will want to roll left or right naturally depending on the direction of the roll. This would be the Rolling Circle. I have a hard time rolling right, P-Factor makes it easier to roll left and its more comfortable to me for now.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You need a Crack Yak! super easy way to learn this is on a foamy. They are close and slow enough for you to make a correction.
I like to tell people to do a slow roll, with every pass slow the plane down, You will then see what input you will need to keep the plane flying in a strait line (like a four point roll, except it's a smooth roll). Keep slowing the plane down until you are eventually forced to keep the nose high to maintain a strait line ie: high alpha. Congrats you are now doing a rolling harrier. The circle will be the biggest challenge, once you get to about 2/3 you will rely on your muscle memory to complete the circle until you are proficient. The plane will want to roll left or right naturally depending on the direction of the roll. This would be the Rolling Circle. I have a hard time rolling right, P-Factor makes it easier to roll left and its more comfortable to me for now.

Thanks for that I am able to do a reasonable slow roll across the field but not really slow . I will try that the next time I am out and just keep slowing it down and see how it goes. I have given some thought of buying a Crack Yak but it is just to wind around me if I have zero wind it may happen twice a year, most of the time it is at least 10 mph and or well above.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
One of my goals very long ago when I started flying was to be able to do a good slow roll, but back then I always sucked at them. I spent a lot of time a few years ago on the sim and at the field trying to get reasonably good at them. I think it teaches you a lot about airplane control. Being able to draw fairly a straight line no matter the airplanes orientation is cool and leads to all kinds of neat things. Ridiculous crabs and slips are a lot of fun and it's something I learned as an offshoot of slow rolls.

I've also always found it amazing just how high alpha and slow you can fly knife edge. It's just one of those things that looks like an airplane just shouldn't do. My Hangar 9 Extra 300x does them really well which is shocking to me since it's so heavy.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The wicked Pilot Edge came home in one piece today. I swear, that plane wears me out. It is so snappy, so quick and so darned fun to fly. I had to take "aomn" (an old man nap...LOL) when I got home. All this talk of rollers and harriers and hovering and.... well, I just couldn't resist. I tried a few of each. It is so surprising how well a plane flies....(not flies) when it is in a total stalled state. LOL.