• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The FAA just "went there" NOT GOOD. ALL RC Aircraft = REAL AIRCRAFT

TiredOldMan

New to GSN!
Some of us have been watching this coming since 2007, when the first ARC committee pretty much shut the AMA out of any activity that would permit them to provide input. OTH, the AMA was a little slow to catch on in spite of what some had been telling them for a year before the ARC thing started.

The depth of what the FAA is about to attempt is far more encompassing that many understand. Those flying "commercially" will include sponsored RC pilots for manufacturers, people receiving cash or products for contest wins, hobby shop owners flying at local sites as advertising, multirotor and small heli flyers that use their craft for aerial journalism and cinematography, and anyone one flying pretty much anything that provides any form of compensation, be that cash, product, exposure, or forms of consideration.

Each of you has an opportunity to do something about it, and unfortunately that will require each of you to do something. Passive protests like posts on an RC forum will not benefit you at all. Despite their lack of teeth, join the AMA. I don't care what pet peeve you might have with the AMA, I have a few of my own but now is not the time to think you can stand alone and make something happen. You need to be part of an organized group that politicians can view as a voting group. Even if you're not old enough to vote, your parents are. Next, look around for other groups you can join that probably share your views. One that is primarily intended for multirotor professionals is at www.acuas.org
They are free and they accept members from regular RC that don't fly professionally because they understand that RC professionals started as RC amateurs. Their intent is to band as many people together as possible to act as a larger voice when the time comes to speak out. They'll also assist with form letters to be used for mass e-mails to representatives.

I've been in this hobby for a very long time. I also fly multirotors and shoot aerial video. I used to fly military grade UAV's. In close to 50 years of these activities I've never seen a power grab such as what is now in play. It does not have to happen, although there are some that believe total control is the only way people should be able to live their lives. The way to put a stop to it is by using the system as it was designed to be used. When the FAA NPRM comes out be ready to respond, in writing, rationally. Use the various political action groups like the AMA, ACUAS, AUVSI, Drone Pilot's Association, and others, to act as your proxy in lobbying the government bodies that will be in play.

For those of you that might have any doubt, 3D aerobatics will be viewed as dangerous and reckless operation of an aircraft. So don't sit back and think it won't affect you. if you fly thermal duration gliders you can forget every performing a multi hour thermal duration flight ever again. You won't be able to get high enough in a thermal to really take advantage of it. you jet jock are SOL. All those high speed passes will have a speed limit. Fly FPV? You won't anymore and all that expensive stuff you bought to do it will be instantly worthless.

Pat

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
guys, let's leave politics out of this please.
thanks,
bart
Have to agree with Bart. Political views are not going to change the opinions or the actions of those that are in charge of making decisions regarding our hobby. In order for something to be changed, it first becomes necessary to address the actual issue and be heard by the powers that be. We all know that not everyone is irresponsible and rogue when it comes to radio controlled aircraft. However as the old saying goes, "it only takes one bad apple to spoil the pie". Educating our young soon to be pilots, stricter policies and rules from our flying clubs as well as taking the responsibility for our own actions and being proactive to report those that are abusing and destroying what we all have is a sure fire way to help cut down and help eliminate the trouble makers. It won't cure the problem completely, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Just my opinion.

njswede

150cc
FWIW, the AMA guys are doing an amazing job on the webcast right now by calmly addressing some very real concerns, while trying to stem any panic within the modeling community.

I work in the medical field. Transportation to be exact. Our medical director sent this notice to all mobile employee's. I took out all names and identifying names or cities. Health care is pretty particular about this stuff however since it was a mass email im sure it is fine but just covering myself.

Operator/Vendor: Owned Part ---
Weather: Clear. Not a factor
Team: Pilot, two flight nurses. No injuries reported. No patient.
Description:
At approximately ----------------- Life Flight - was descending into
the ------ Airport in ------- county for fuel. The aircraft was
approximately two miles southwest of the airport on a slow decent at
2400ft MSL. The flight nurse in the co-pilot seat was the first to see
a drone at the 12 O?clock position flying towards the aircraft at a
high rate of closure and at their altitude. The flight nurse yelled ?
watch out?. The pilot at this point also made visual contact with the
drone and made an evasive right bank turn to avoid a collision. The
passing separation was estimated at 2 to 4 rotor discs away. The
aircraft continued to the --------- county------- airport and landed
without incident. The crew stood down at the airfield and completely
debriefed the incident, contacted program aviation leadership and a
PAIP was initiated. Post debrief the aircraft repositioned back to
its site of operation in -----------. The Life Flight - base was
taken OOS for the remainder of the crew?s scheduled shift. The pilot
post reposition flight notified the FAA and provided a statement of
the incident.
Additional Info:
Take home points from the Program's Chief Flight Nurse, ----
---------:
-Be on the lookout at all times. Predictions point to more of these
encounters nation-wide as time passes.
-Be on the lookout for non-traditionally shaped objects. Crew are
trained and are familiar with other tradional aircraft. Do you know
what drones look like? Acquaint yourself. Unfortunately, most drones
are relatively small making it much harder to identify them.
-If you see something, say something.

Sweet baby jesus people have their panties in a bunch over this.
Any ruling the faa makes will have zero affect on safety. People will still be dumbasses no matter what laws you pass.
And to those squeamish about the possibility of a RC toy being flown by a nimwit in the airspace, I'd much rather hit a toy than a Cessna, and that happens on a pretty regular basis. So often in fact that the media doesn't even bother any more. "Drone" is just a new hot button word used by the advertising whores to get the sheeples attention.