• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The FAA just "went there" NOT GOOD. ALL RC Aircraft = REAL AIRCRAFT

On occasion I take commercial airline flights here in the States and overseas, as do members of my family and friends.

I for one am growing more and more concerned about the 'renegade' FPV operators who see nothing wrong with placing their 'aircraft' in airspace that full scale commercial and private aircraft operate in.

While full blown oversite of the RC aircraft hobby is definitely overkill I do want the FAA to have the legal authority to regulate this airspace to protect human life, mine as well as others...no ifs, ands or buts.

There just isn't any hobby / activity that justifies a preventable injury or death

wesley.

70cc twin V2
Got this in email from AMA

AMA to host live Q&A regarding recent drone legislation

AMA will air a live broadcast on Tuesday, November 25 at 1 PM EST to provide an update on the upcoming small UAS rule, FAA's interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, and the sUAS/drone issue. Information regarding the NTSB ruling on the Pirker Case as well as new information regarding AMA's petition for review of the Interpretive Rule has been posted on the AMA blogs. We ask that you submit any questions you have regarding these issues to AskAMA@modelaircraft.org.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
On occasion I take commercial airline flights here in the States and overseas, as do members of my family and friends.

I for one am growing more and more concerned about the 'renegade' FPV operators who see nothing wrong with placing their 'aircraft' in airspace that full scale commercial and private aircraft operate in.

While full blown oversite of the RC aircraft hobby is definitely overkill I do want the FAA to have the legal authority to regulate this airspace to protect human life, mine as well as others...no ifs, ands or buts.

There just isn't any hobby / activity that justifies a preventable injury or death

I don't recall a model airplane ever damaging a full size aircraft to the point of imminent failure.....

mndless

Don't know a thing..

So... the FAA deciding to 'regulate' below 500 ft is going to increase safety for full scale aircraft ?

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Something equally threatening to full-size aircraft they have been unable to manage is laser pointers. There have been a lot more incidents with them than with RC aircraft, and the FAA hasn't been able to curb that problem. I can still go out and buy a laser pointer with no regulations at all.

While I don't trust any government agency to have my best interest in mind, this round of regulation (attempted) by the FAA doesn't concern me too much. Common sense keeps me out of trouble, unlike some of the idiots who go out and buy a 'toy' with no idea of how to use it safely. The only way I would see this impacting me is if I do something stupid. Flying in my yard or at the local flying field are both safe places away from other air traffic and people. If I choose to fly over a populated area, in the airport traffic pattern, or otherwise endanger others, I deserve whatever I get.

garlandk

100cc
Need a license now to fly drones....hmmm...I can totally understand taking a Private Pilot or Commercial Pilot Written Test, but a all out license...