• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Team 3DRCF Joe "Hone" Villavicencio

hone

150cc
I'd keep after them. Go back to the members who you did meet and get along with. Maybe they didn't attend the meeting when the vote was taken. If you need a recommendation let us know here. I will give you one as a club VP sight unseen just based on your enthusiasm, talent and helpfulness in the forums. I'd love to have you as a member Joe.
Lol thanks again, Daren. New members need to be approved by the board and the members don't have much say.

NBRC is more like a grown man clubhouse than a real RC club for the promotion of RC. As you can imagine the politics can get a little outrageous.

I was told it would be hard to get in when I applied.

It's not easy to find good RC fields in California. I fly at an electric only field down here in San Diego with no limit to the number of members, we fluctuate between 280 to over 300. Seems like a ridiculous amount but somehow we manage. We do have a couple members flying 90 inch class planes, but honestly the field is too small for that.

That's a lot of members! I think sccmas in near San Jose has some crazy high membership but the field usually isn't too crowded. If it wasn't so far it'd be a no brainer for me to join there but I like to go to the field multiple times a week if I can.

hone

150cc
Nice. You using a 9 or 8" prop? I like the 2 s w 9" on the C Laser. I haven't flown Cody's yet. I'm curious to see how it tumbles.

2s with 9" tuff prop. Love this combo! Might go 3s when the wind picks up though.
It tumbles better than any other foamy I've flown in that size. I've been mostly playing with it in my front yard though so haven't really opened her up yet. I'm going to bring it to the park next week for a little more space :)

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
"Clubs (with inflexible rules and policies, editors note) like this definitely aren't helping to grow the hobby."
Amen!
Work on the more open minded members if this is a club that would really serve your needs and you could serve theirs too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Lol thanks again, Daren. New members need to be approved by the board and the members don't have much say.

NBRC is more like a grown man clubhouse than a real RC club for the promotion of RC. As you can imagine the politics can get a little outrageous.

I was told it would be hard to get in when I applied.

That's a lot of members! I think sccmas in near San Jose has some crazy high membership but the field usually isn't too crowded. If it wasn't so far it'd be a no brainer for me to join there but I like to go to the field multiple times a week if I can.

You would think with 300 members we would never get to fly. I wonder about the number of "active" flying members. I seem to see the same people all the time, which may amount to 50-60 at the most. Weekday mornings there may be only 5-10 cars in the lot. To the their credit the club does a lot of things in the community to promote RC, last year we became an AMA "Gold Leader" club.

hone

150cc
You would think with 300 members we would never get to fly. I wonder about the number of "active" flying members. I seem to see the same people all the time, which may amount to 50-60 at the most. Weekday mornings there may be only 5-10 cars in the lot. To the their credit the club does a lot of things in the community to promote RC, last year we became an AMA "Gold Leader" club.
I like that your club does things in the community. My old club was the same way and I thought it was cool that they were at least trying to promote the hobby. NBRC doesn't even have a website and I doubt they do anything in the community. Seems they'd rather be under the radar. Good news is that i found a new club out by Travis airforce base in Fairfield. Only 40 minutes from my house :)
I called the president of the club and will meet him at the field the weekend after next to check it out. He was very nice and told me to bring my planes out and fly.
The club is called vaca-valley rc.

Joe is that the radio tray aztech sells
Yes sir! I love it :)

dth7

I like that your club does things in the community. My old club was the same way and I thought it was cool that they were at least trying to promote the hobby. NBRC doesn't even have a website and I doubt they do anything in the community. Seems they'd rather be under the radar. Good news is that i found a new club out by Travis airforce base in Fairfield. Only 40 minutes from my house :)
I called the president of the club and will meet him at the field the weekend after next to check it out. He was very nice and told me to bring my planes out and fly.
The club is called vaca-valley rc.

Yes sir! I love it :)

Thats Great Joe! best of luck sounds like you found a fit. Our club is doing a big community event in June. It will be a big deal. A 250th town celebration field day. We'll be doing demos trying to give what should be a crowd of thousands a view of all types of RC from foamies, edfs and a sim to gassers and Helis. We'll also offer intro buddy box flights. Should be fun. Big step for this club which also likes to stay on the down low. I told them this is a unique opportunity that would be a shame ton pass up. It's being held literally across the street from one of our fields.

hone

150cc
Thats Great Joe! best of luck sounds like you found a fit. Our club is doing a big community event in June. It will be a big deal. A 250th town celebration field day. We'll be doing demos trying to give what should be a crowd of thousands a view of all types of RC from foamies, edfs and a sim to gassers and Helis. We'll also offer intro buddy box flights. Should be fun. Big step for this club which also likes to stay on the down low. I told them this is a unique opportunity that would be a shame ton pass up. It's being held literally across the street from one of our fields.

Glad to hear your club is stepping up!

Honestly, I feel if we want this hobby to continue progressing than we need to increase participation. Only way to do that is spread the word because many folks don't even know the hobby exist or at least not in the form it is today (mostly electric with lots of RTF and BNF planes).

Every time I go to the local park with my Twisted Hobby foamies I get at least 2 or 3 people coming up and asking how to get started. Who knows how many actually get into it but I'm sure a demo in front of hundreds of people would draw at least 1 or 2 into the hobby.

dth7

Glad to hear your club is stepping up!

Honestly, I feel if we want this hobby to continue progressing than we need to increase participation. Only way to do that is spread the word because many folks don't even know the hobby exist or at least not in the form it is today (mostly electric with lots of RTF and BNF planes).

Every time I go to the local park with my Twisted Hobby foamies I get at least 2 or 3 people coming up and asking how to get started. Who knows how many actually get into it but I'm sure a demo in front of hundreds of people would draw at least 1 or 2 into the hobby.

You would hope and think. That's why I want to do several different disciplines and types of flying. We flew today at our new club venue at an airport where we do events in the summer. It's right off a major road and we get spectators every time with the jets and 3d, XA, EDFs, etc being flown. It's a great place and so far the neighbors are all for the mid week entertainment.