• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

SOLOSHOT2: Get The Perfect RC Video of Your Plane In Flight By Yourself!

SleepyC

150cc
My understanding is that the Solo Shot is just a device that sits on a tripod to which you attach a camera of your choice. The device follows an object to which it is linked, in this case a plane. How does it know when to zoom in and out and how does it make the camera do that. Is there a mechanical zoom attachment?

I am getting one, so I'll fill you in,
But the "TAG" unit is GPS so the head unit follows it using GPS. SO the head knows where and how far away the TAG is. The zoom only works with cameras that has LANC input. The website has a list of cameras supported.. so I'm sure it knows that specific cameras lens's field of view, so then it uses the GPS location and the known FOV to decide if it can zoom or not as the tripod head tack the tag as well.

Pretty awesome. I should be getting one sometime late in January.

Twister

70cc twin V2
Gotta set your camera to infinity so the focus is not hunting... and that way when the cam zooms it will always be in focus.
I thought I had it but it was set for manual focus but not infinity.

There's a learning curve for all things and i'm just at the beginning. lol

Twister

70cc twin V2
No ARRGHH taken,in fact because of your post I checked the camera and it wasn't set to infinity. I can't wait til you get yours to see how you set yours up. I wonder if they can change the firmware to make it a little faster and more airplane friendly

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
No ARRGHH taken,in fact because of your post I checked the camera and it wasn't set to infinity. I can't wait til you get yours to see how you set yours up. I wonder if they can change the firmware to make it a little faster and more aireplane friendly
My guess would be that once the two young men that designed this system gets wind of "ALL" it's possibilities, the market is going to get real demanding and they are really going to do some great improvements. If they haven't already gotten that under their hats or up their sleeves and in the works.

No ARRGHH taken,in fact because of your post I checked the camera and it wasn't set to infinity. I can't wait til you get yours to see how you set yours up. I wonder if they can change the firmware to make it a little faster and more airplane friendly

I don't expect it to work well for fast/high energy acrobatics.

The reason I think so is due to the limitations of the precision and speed of GPS.

The same thing is applicable for using GPS to measure airspeed on hotliner R/C aircraft. You don't get fast enough sampling to get really high resolution location data.

You could see it in the video of the Edge that did all the slow 3d, right at the end when the pilot flew off to the right, the plane flew out of frame.

It is an awesome product but I don't think it will ever be able to give quality videos of somebody like Jase Dussia. You would need something that is sampling hundreds if not thousands of times a second to keep him in frame.

But as I say this, I can't wait to see what they do with it!

BJ Swope

SleepyC

150cc
SWOPE, I think you are correct that i will not be able to follow insanely fast stuff but I think for typical review type videos, or to analize IMAC flights and such it will be a great tool! Hopefully I’ll be able to tell you all about it soon!