• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Set-up of EP 72 inch extra

Olie

50cc
I have just finished mine and this is how it is setup:

2x 1300mah 2s Lipo running into a Spekrum AR9110-X.

This supplies my high voltage servos with a direct and redundant 8v supply.

I also have 2x 4s 4000mah packs that run in series into my castle edge 100 ESC.
The ESC has the red wire disconnected at the receiver end to disable the BEC.

This still allows me to disconnect the servo extension wire and plug in my programming lead.

pic:

(click for larger)

SnowDog

Thanks. I need to see someones setup to figure this out I guess. I know how to set up an electric with motor, esc, and batteries, Just unsure of how to do it an have a battery for just run servos.

Does your ESC have a built-in BEC or not? (Some do, some don't, usually the ones without a BEC are labeled OPTO).

If your ESC has a built-in BEC, use Olie's approach (disconnect the red wire running from the ESC to the RX).

If your ESC does not have a built-in BEC, then just connect the ESC to the throttle channel as normal, and connect a separate battery (usually a 7.4v lipo or a 6.6v life pack) directly to the RX power port. Or you can do redundant power as Olie also describes.

yea I'm going electric, I guess what i'm saying is how to set this plane up for electric. I already have a CC edge 100 and a60-7s, do I need CC bec pro? probably will use 7955tg on surfaces.

That's the same motor I have in my 3DHS 74" Edge, spooling a Xoar 21x10PJN to 2500 watts on 10S, and the servos are HS-7955TG. I think you'll like your setup. Last I heard CC is working on a firmware update for their new Edge line of ESCs' that will enable them to drive 28 pole motors to their full power potential. Last I heard the update is due out most anytime now, if not already.

Anyway, the A60-7S V2 powered by a pair of series connected 5S 2950mAH 35C Hyperion packs gives me 5:30 minute flight when doing a mixed 3D and speed precision (turnaround pattern and etc.) and the packs come down measuring in the 3.77 ~ 3.74 volts per cell range. Or I can get 7:30 minutes on a pair of series connected 5S 4000mAH packs. For in close slow-N-low 3D I tend to favor the Hyperion 5S 2950 packs as they are nearly 1/2 lb. lighter for the pair compared to a pair of 5S 4000 SkyLiPo packs. But for BIG sky flying I can't really feel the weight difference between the two sets of batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the same motor I have in my 3DHS 74" Edge, spooling a Xoar 21x10PJN to 2500 watts on 10S, and the servos are HS-7955TG. I think you'll like your setup. Last I heard CC is working on a firmware update for their new Edge line of ESCs' that will enable them to drive 28 pole motors to their full power potential. Last I heard the update is due out most anytime now, if not already.

Anyway, the A60-7S V2 powered by a pair of series connected 5S 2950mAH 35C Hyperion packs gives me 5:30 minute flight when doing a mixed 3D and speed precision (turnaround pattern and etc.) and the packs come down measuring in the 3.77 ~ 3.74 volts per cell range. Or I can get 7:30 minutes on a pair of series connected 5S 4000mAH packs. For in close slow-N-low 3D I tend to favor the Hyperion 5S 2950 packs as they are nearly 1/2 lb. lighter for the pair compared to a pair of 5S 4000 SkyLiPo packs. But for BIG sky flying I can't really feel the weight difference between the two sets of batteries.

Hey delta,

Did you have to have a mount or anything like that for the motor? Did you set up with separate batteries for servos?

My RCVR (an HV version) and servos are powered directly (no BEC) by a pair of 2S 1300 mAH LiFe packs, separately plugged into the RCVR through unused servo ports.

I used the kit included eBox to mount the A60-7S. To get a tighter spinner to cowl gap, and to save some weight, I left off the Hacker X-bracket and bolted the motor directly in place. That required beefing up the eBox with some CF plate, not to mention drilling new holes (as needed anyway). Here's some photos:

IMG_0109.JPGIMG_0110.JPG

gyro

GSN Contributor
My RCVR (an HV version) and servos are powered directly (no BEC) by a pair of 2S 1300 mAH LiFe packs, separately plugged into the RCVR through unused servo ports.

I used the kit included eBox to mount the A60-7S. To get a tighter spinner to cowl gap, and to save some weight, I left off the Hacker X-bracket and bolted the motor directly in place. That required beefing up the eBox with some CF plate, not to mention drilling new holes (as needed anyway). Here's some photos:

View attachment 18960View attachment 18961

One of the cleanest looking electric motor installations I've seen, nice job!

Hey Delta

Could you please send some photo's of the RCVR and how you have everything inside of fuse, thanks! Like to see how your motor is mounted also. Did you say that you have the Edge?

Purpleheart

View attachment 18960View attachment 18961

Delta,

Do you think the CC phoenix 100 edge will be enough or do I need to go with a CC 120 edge

Hey Delta

Could you please send some photo's of the RCVR and how you have everything inside of fuse, thanks! Like to see how your motor is mounted also. Did you say that you have the Edge?

Purpleheart

Delta,

Do you think the CC phoenix 100 edge will be enough or do I need to go with a CC 120 edge

On 10S and with a Xoar 21x10, the Hacker A60-7S V2 doesn't pull more than 68 amps.,
WOT static. A 100 amp. ESC will provide plenty of headroom, and the one I'm using
is a 99 amp. Jeti SpinPro Opto. Runs nice and cool.