• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Saito 61cc Four Stroke Gas Engine, NEW!

M

Matt

probably draws heat away from the case to keep it from overheating
If you look at all the big satio engines they all have that... I am guessing like @Bartman said its case heat...
I am just wondering why they have a 57cc twin and a 61cc twin... Seems strange

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A buddy of mine, bought the Pilot 50cc Extra 330sc and installed the previous version of this in it. It sounds cool as heck and runs really great. I ran big block Saito's in everything I flew until I went over to gas. No doubt the 61cc is going to be just as robust. But!!! Not really great for performance in an aerobatic plane. Flies the 330 pretty well, but runs out of steam real fast. Quite lacking for what we all expect out of our 3D machines. Put it in a cub or a warbird or something that is intended for flying and not hucking, and I am sure it will do really great. The purpose of the finned heat sink on the bottom is in fact to dissipate heat away from the crankcase. Original versions without the heat sink kept tossing the crank due to too much heat.
SAIEG57TS_a0.jpg

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
A buddy of mine, bought the Pilot 50cc Extra 330sc and installed the previous version of this in it. It sounds cool as heck and runs really great. I ran big block Saito's in everything I flew until I went over to gas.
i think you're talking about the 57cc version which is actually on sale right now. if the 61cc is like a 2 stroke 40 to 45 cc then the 57 would be just below that, maybe like a 38 to 40 cc 2 stroke?

was transition nice and quick? if so, it's just a matter of matching the airframe to the engine so there's enough excess-huckin' power when you need it. his 50cc airframe was probably just a little too much for the 57cc version.

just watched the video, engine sounds nice but how do you guys fly with such limited open space? isn't that dangerous?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
i think you're talking about the 57cc version which is actually on sale right now. if the 61cc is like a 2 stroke 40 to 45 cc then the 57 would be just below that, maybe like a 38 to 40 cc 2 stroke?

was transition nice and quick? if so, it's just a matter of matching the airframe to the engine so there's enough excess-huckin' power when you need it. his 50cc airframe was probably just a little too much for the 57cc version.

just watched the video, engine sounds nice but how do you guys fly with such limited open space? isn't that dangerous?
You are correct Bart. I should have clarified myself. It is the 57cc version. All in all, it's a great motor for a smaller plane or scale application. Throttle very crisp. Quiet snappy actually. Way more so than glow versions.
It does get cramped now and then. We just really have to be careful, ya know?:spongebob:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
A buddy of mine, bought the Pilot 50cc Extra 330sc and installed the previous version of this in it.

Strictly out of curiosity, was your buddy's engine baffled and was he running on the upper end of the prop range? Just curious, I'm a sucked for four strokes, only thing I miss about glow engines is the smell, and the sound of the Saito.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Gen Saito did what I could not get YS to do ( I used to write to the Yamada's about a large bore boxer twin). And now his legacy unfolds to the big gas engine arena! YS did do a proto 120 twin before releasing the original F-120. I used to have pictures but got lost between desk top computer change outs.