• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Road to Top Gun — Robert Russ’ 46% Pitts Special

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
After being notified of the invite and accepting I figured it might be a good idea to get the Eagle out of the trailer and look it over. And it's a good thing I did, after all it has been there since Monster Plane's back in October. All the batteries had taken a dump, the tailwheel crapped out, and it was in need of a deep cleaning, and I had forgotten that on the last flight of the event it nosed over and ate the prop. The batteries have been replaced as well as the tailwheel, and all the screws replaced as they were getting weathered. It has been wiped gently to a clean state, tomorrow I plan on running it and if all goes well I can put the cowl back on and give it a decent waxing. Then I need to go fly it a few times to get reacquainted with it. Then, at this point hopefully everything will be a go for TG. Four days filled with fantastic models, good friends, decent food, in general just a grand ole time.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I finally got it outside today, first up was to check everything out real well, I have done nothing to this engine since putting it on this airframe. First up was to change the plugs for some fresh one's, here I learned Valach called for a gap of .4mm, had to call AMR on this as that seemed very small to me. But .4mm was correct so that's what they were set to, filled the tank with fuel, then hooked the ole bird up to the laptop. Everything was a go so with four flips of choke on-POP, two flips choke off and it's purring like a kitten, well almost. It was just a tad rough throughout the rpm range, I figured the new and proper set plugs changed things a bit. So I commenced to re-tune it, it did not take much to have it running smooth as silk, as a matter of fact I think this is the best this engine has ever run. It is turning the Biela 32x12x3 right around 41oo rpm, idling right around 950, and max temps were 240°, all on the ground. Man I do love this engine, I let it sit until ambient and it starts on the second flip. Did that three time's in a row so I loaded it in the trailer and will be heading to the south house tomorrow, if all goes well I may even hit the field later in the day.

Attachments

• P1080549.JPG
    P1080549.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 402

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
There was no one at the field the last two days, this morning my oldest was able to go with me to aid in loading and unloading. I got in a good flight and everything was working and running real well. Loaded back up and then took the son home, then headed to Paradise field. Long story short, around 11 a.m. I fueled up to begin some practice flights, along with everyone else. At about a minute into the first flight the prop hub along with the bolts, nut's, and spinner went flying in a different direction. The prop, spinner, and back plate are still together, but having to put it down in a hurry I landed a bit fast and it nosed over cracking the cowl and breaking the top side of the fin. This is a really bad way to start and end my first competition, practice day before the event. I want to thank everyone whom has followed along and do apologize for the lackluster ending.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to hear about your small incident but in a week I am sure it will all be back together. By The way it is AWESOME to have the review done on your plane, And Congratulations with review sir you are master builder, and very well deserved.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you!
It will be far more than a week before I will get anything done to this plane or any other. This little incident has made me decide to put my hobby stuff on hold and get some of the thing's taken care of I have really been needing to get done. Namely finish up the remodel of our previous house, then sell it, and a short list of time consuming things at our current new residence. So it may be two to four or maybe even six months before I get back to the toys.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to hear that will miss you but you will be back rejuvenate.

Last edited: