• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rebuilding the Yak...again.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

Have I got a deal for you. Since you're ahead of schedule on repairing your Big Yak, How about I send you my AMR Stick to finish putting together?:big_yes:I'll even send the 3Dub 70 and everything else needed to fly it so you can take a few turns on the sticks before you send it back. . . . . :laughing:.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks...it has been such a breeze to put back together. I really can't understand why anyone with a damaged Pilot airframe would ever trash them. With Tony's commitment to his company, the superior customer service and the no charge for replacement wood, (other than cost of shipping) it seems a no brainer to me to repair an airframe vs. the cost to buy a new one. If I remember correctly, the 40% Yak is in the upper neighborhood of $2200.00-$2400.00 to get it to your door. When all is said and done on the cost of repairs to the fuse, my total cost will be $188.00. I could not even purchase a glow plane for that. Course I did buy new Spats and did spend about $100.00 for updates on the 210. Plus will need a new prop. But I really can't figure the engine parts into the cost of the repairs. They would have needed to be purchased regardless of what I decided to do with the big jugged red head. So complete cost of this unfortunate incident will be a miesly $485.00. Seems a small price to pay to keep a big bird in your hangar. But I was very lucky. It could have been much worse. Now as far as getting it in the air by this weekend? Oh I don't know about that. I really have a lot yet to do. Covering, installation of components, and I have to recover the right wing panel top and bottom. When the gear folded back, the Spat on the right side wheel acted like a knife and sliced right through both layers of covering. Again I was lucky. Only damaged the covering. The Spat just barely missed major construction and ribs inside the wing. I suppose I could just patch the covering......Nnnno!! I just can't bring myself to do patches. Unless...it is a small... (very-small) patch in a very inconspicuous location. I am pretty certain I can still beat my original goal of end of September though.

I will be starting the covering today. Will keep ya'll posted.
Well I must say it looks great and as you said for the that price to have your plane back And as good as it was.
Do you know if that free wood ie parts is for all Pilot plane I mean all sizes from 20cc to 200cc.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well I must say it looks great and as you said for the that price to have your plane back And as good as it was.
Do you know if that free wood ie parts is for all Pilot plane I mean all sizes from 20cc to 200cc.
The free replacement wood covers "ALL" Pilot RC ARF airframes. No matter the size. I try to be overly cautious and don't take near the risks with my airframes that some do. But it is a real comfort knowing that "IF" something happens, we Pilot ARF owners have an Ace in the whole. The outstanding and stellar support of an amazing and top shelf company and owner.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-control/gas-glow-airplanes/pilot-rc/free-parts.html

Last edited:

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
It is looking good. Can you measure the width and length of your canopy for me?I have a sd yak 54 that needs a new one. That one looks really close to mine if it is big enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It is looking good. Can you measure the width and length of your canopy for me?I have a sd yak 54 that needs a new one. That one looks really close to mine if it is big enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd be happy to. Except my son has a brand new untouched SD Yak. Nothing between the SD and Pilot are the same. Cowls are same size but different bolt spacing.

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
I'd be happy to. Except my son has a brand new untouched SD Yak. Nothing between the SD and Pilot are the same. Cowls are same size but different bolt spacing.

Well that is no good. Thanks for the info though will have to go back to drawing board on finding one. Maybe by a bigger oven so I can make my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well that is no good. Thanks for the info though will have to go back to drawing board on finding one. Maybe by a bigger oven so I can make my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you like, I can get some photos of my sons along with some measurements. With that, you could probably build your own right?