• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rebuilding the Yak...again.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Tygon isn't quite as prone to that as Viton. Viton is more flexible to start with and stays that way so I run a piece of brass tube even on a small tank with Viton.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Back from Vegas and I thought it was time I updated the Rebuild thread. I had planned to leave on Saturday for Vegas but things happened that I could not leave until yesterday morning. Quick trip down and back home by noon today. Now....it's time to get this big bird done.

With the big 210 twin mounted, I was able to get the top motor box plate glued into position. I also got the fuel tank vent line and carb line routed through plastic hole protectors.

20160917_195733.jpg
20160917_195745.jpg
20160917_173323.jpg

Along with the throttle servo lead being brought up from the can tunnel to connect to the extension for the rx.

20160917_224024.jpg

Once this was all done, it was time to mount the ignition modules, opto-kill switches (2) and get everything tidied up under the hood.

20160917_203950.jpg
20160917_215006.jpg
20160917_223910.jpg
20160917_224007.jpg

With all the wiring done, the 210 is in place and ready for a test fire. Oh wait....don't we need a prop????

20160919_211526.jpg

Throttle servo in place and connected to the big "dub". Hey, Nothing had to be changed. It all went back together like....well, like it knew where everything belonged. LOL.

20160917_173401.jpg

With everything else pretty much done, I figured now is a good time to get the rudder hung and the White Rose tail gear installed.

20160917_173237.jpg

About all that is left on the fuse is to mount the landing gear and the wheels. Which I will do first thing in the morning. I want to get a test run on the 210 to check everything out before replacing the cowl on to the fuse. I am also going to do a "fuse stress" test. May not be wise, but if I can't break anything on the ground, I am pretty certain it will hold together in the air. It has been a long time since I did any building from sticks. And nothing this big. I just don't want to take any chances or risks that could have been avoided by a full power run up and test.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thanks for the heads up Tanner. But honestly, I have never used a brass tube in any of my tanks. I do understand the logic behind it. But notice the "klunks"? They are the Sullivan Super Klunks. They are quite heavy and have the larger "draw" hole in the center for feeding hungry big engines. I have actually been using them on everything including my 100cc setups. I'm sure it is possible the klunk and carb line "could" fall to the front of the tank in a downline. If they do, then my klunk is always in fuel. I have not once found upon disassembling for the day, not one in the front of the tank yet. Even when the big Yak came down with a dead stick that subsequently damaged the front half of the fuse, once pulled apart the klunk was right where it should be.

It takes 10 seconds to put it in which can save you a lot of headache, I don't even cut the Tygon I just slide the brass inside of it. It's more of a safety precaution kind of thing so it doesn't invert itself right before you pull into a hover and starve the engine 5ft. from the deck ;)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It takes 10 seconds to put it in which can save you a lot of headache, I don't even cut the Tygon I just slide the brass inside of it. It's more of a safety precaution kind of thing so it doesn't invert itself right before you pull into a hover and starve the engine 5ft. from the deck ;)
Yeah..I know. But seriously, who hovers 5 ft. off the deck? I drag that rudder pal. LOL.... Thanks Tanner...really. Haven't ever done this on any of my planes. 50cc, 100cc, or even the big birds. Not to seem argumentative. But the only (4) dead sticks I have had in the past 4 years and over 2000 flights had zero to do with fuel delivery

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yeah..I know. But seriously, who hovers 5 ft. off the deck? I drag that rudder pal. LOL.... Thanks Tanner...really. Haven't ever done this on any of my planes. 50cc, 100cc, or even the big birds. Not to seem argumentative. But the only (4) dead sticks I have had in the past 4 years and over 2000 flights had zero to do with fuel delivery

Hey depending on the length of the airplane, that engine could be 10 ft up from the rudder LOL!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finally....!!! The big Yak is ready for a re-maiden. I finished up with recovering the right wing today. I cheated a little in duplicating the Green and Silver stripes on the top of the wing. I used normal household "wax" paper to lay over the top of the stripes, then using a pen I traced the outline of the stripes. I regret not having Tony just send the right wing stripes since he sent the fuse stripes. It would have been much quicker and a lot easier. But, I got them traced and it turned out ok. I may get hold of Tony and have him send me the top wing stripes so I can replace them this winter during the "off" flying season. I really just wanted to be done and have it ready to fly this weekend. I also got a test run on the 210 and a pretty lengthy stress test on the fuse. I burned about just about a full tank (50 ounce) of fuel redialing the carb needles. They did change a lot from previous settings. But this I am sure is due to the new reeds in the engine. The 210 is running very well and danged strong. And I am happy to report the fuse didn't show not once sign of a loosened glue joint or weakened reconstruction anywhere in the airframe. I think it is good to go. I snapped a few photos just before I ran the engine. I will try to get an "assembled" photo tomorrow. The big yak is looking pretty good.

20160920_151526.jpg
20160920_151530.jpg
20160920_151534.jpg
20160920_151538.jpg
20160920_151543.jpg
20160921_182552.jpg

I will post the re-maiden results Saturday after some "REALLY" big plane flying.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Nice to see some one take the time to do nice clean install.

That green stuff you are using to cover all the tubing and wires what is that called.
Thank you....It is called "Snakeskin"from Taildragger RC. It's pretty cool that it comes in a variety of colors.