• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Kind of loss steam on this project over the holiday season. I have the rudder pull-pull completed and have a plan for the elevator control. The next step will be the wing lift struts, with all the talk about lathes and small parts decided to make the wing lift strut forks. The full scale are 1/2" threads so a number 8-32 will be about the correct 1/3 scale size.
05-08575.jpg

I made a power feed for the mill/drill out of wiper motor. Need to mill four flats on the round bar for indexing the stock so this will be good test for the feed.
IMG_2694.JPG

The flat milling went well and the stock was chucked up in the four jaw chuck on the flats and turned to the largest diameter of the fork.
IMG_2696.JPG

Back to the mill and put the flats on the fork for the trough bolt.
IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

I used a Dremel abrasive wheel to slit the end. It took three wheels to get the job done. The arbor is made from 1/2" stock as my cheap arbor bent on the second pass.

IMG_2702.JPG

The through hole was next, drilled and tapped for 4-40. A set screw was installed to keep the forks rigid during finial turning.
IMG_2704.JPG

Back to the lathe for finial turning.
IMG_2705.JPG

The 8-32 threads were put on with a die nut.
IMG_2706.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Had the Champ out yesterday at the Gypsy Moth Fliers club meeting, small club here in south west PA just 15 miles north of Pittsburgh, PA. We fly off of full scale restricted runway.
Several other projects have put the Champ on the back burner again, I did mange to get the rudder and elevator controls completed.
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG

Jay

30cc
Tremendous! Everyone is excited 'bout this project.
If you hit a snag, just ask - someone has a tee-shirt.

TonyHallo

150cc
I just started to water proofing my basement which is also the work shop. Moved all the kits and planes to the garage and have most of the power tools moved to the center of the floor. Broke up a small section of the floor to verify the project will work, while drilling weep holes at the bottom of the block walls, the drill bit stuck and the motor spun, smashed and broke the tip of left ring finger. It is a little sore right now and I need to see a plastic surgeon next week. I don't expect to restart the project until the fall, the Champ is still inside of the van that I use to haul planes to the field. While moving the hobby related stuff to garage, found what looks to be enough Stitts fabric and tape to finish the plane.
Don't quite understand the tee shirt reference?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Rotary hammer drill? Not surprising if so, lots of momentum when a drill bit hits a snag.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I just started to water proofing my basement which is also the work shop. Moved all the kits and planes to the garage and have most of the power tools moved to the center of the floor. Broke up a small section of the floor to verify the project will work, while drilling weep holes at the bottom of the block walls, the drill bit stuck and the motor spun, smashed and broke the tip of left ring finger. It is a little sore right now and I need to see a plastic surgeon next week. I don't expect to restart the project until the fall, the Champ is still inside of the van that I use to haul planes to the field. While moving the hobby related stuff to garage, found what looks to be enough Stitts fabric and tape to finish the plane.
Don't quite understand the tee shirt reference?
Need to explain how you water proof from the inside. Maybe I am not understanding but if you water proof the basement it is done from the out side. You dig up all around the house and waterproof the walls and install weeping tile.

Jay

30cc
Hey, Tony...
An old saying: If You run into a problem, call out and someone most likely will have some sor of resolution. (been there, seen it, got a tee-shirt)
But... from I've read and seen with your project, a lot of us need
Your resolutions!
Great work and thank you for all the photos and time it took you to write.