• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

QQ yak 54 73" power setup

Ill get some pics for you, I didn't have to build anything on it, it is a used plane and was originally powered by a glow engine. I'm lucky it balanced ok so far cause there's not much of a tray to move the batts around if its tail heavy ill need to add a piece of ply to bridge the gap between the tray and motor box.

Here are a few pics. I had the cowl on so the pics are taken from beneath the plane looking up into the cowl
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgJamesrine I got my motor and batteries this week and I had put them almost all the way to the nose to get it to balance I might be able to be half inch off the fire wall to be in the middle of the suggested cg and this is with 2 sky lipos 5000 mah 30 c packs 4 s of course I think my hacker is heavier than your tacon so you may have to build tray all I did is put light ply down also I mounted my esc on top of motor box as far foward as I could I don't know if I'm going to run bec or use the one in the ice 100 so that may ad some weight to nose if I ad one

I did get to maiden mine but had a problem with one of my batts it was sagging and hitting lvc with anything over 1/2 throttle but I did fly for 1-2mins and it seemed ok I didn't get to go inverted to check the Cg but it felt good and landed so easy so the Cg has to be close I ordered some gensace 4s4000 60c's for it. There's got to be a reason why we are so far off in batt location , I am also using 2 2s1000's for the servos and they are mounted a couple inches in front of the spar. Oh the only other thing is the motor came with a aluminum cone the goes on the prop adapter as a lock nut it seems pretty heavy for aluminum. Ill get some pics tonight I borrowed some batts from a friend to check and make sure the other batts were the problem. Hopefully ill get a chance to check it tonight.

Nah I haven't had a chance yet been to busy with work and family stuff. I did get new batts and that solved my problem. The motor feels pretty powerful , full throttle has some good pull. Ill let you know if I get a chance to fly it.

Finally got to fly again got to flights on the yak in the blistering cold 24 deg.
It felt really good I like the tacon it had plenty power on 19x8 prop. This plane is my only 30cc size electric so I can't compare to others yet. No prob pulling out of hovers. This plane seems easier to do rolling harriers with it gave me extra confindence to bring them lower across the runway. I really enjoyed flying it. It was a little tail heavy with two 4s 4000 maybe close to neutral Cg inverted was hands off for about 3-4 secs before needing a hair of down elevator. I didn't get a chance to adjust the Cg yet. The servos I used aren't the best they are plenty strong and fast just don't center perfectly every time. All in all I'm happy with it and to top it off I got the airframe for free and only had to buy the electronics for it