• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

QQ yak 54 73" power setup

I just bought this plane today and want to set it up on 8s not sure what motor to put on it the guy i bought it off of had a gear box on it plane is in good shape has been electric all of its life any thoughts on motor/esc combos i was going to run separate rx pack but could put bec on it

thanks Ben

Attachments

• yak 1.jpg
    yak 1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,371
  • yak 2.jpg
    yak 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 325
I have the same exact plane and I have yet to fly it so my advice is based on the research I've done sofar. I am doing the same as you 8s setup and am going the cheapie rought for servos and motor. I heard good things about the tacon Bigfoot 1.10 motor from hobbypartz it's kv is good for 8s and seems like a winner there are a few people using it on a 71 slick and are very happy with it. As far as the esc it doesn't pay to get a china one most of them are not 8s compatable and the high voltage ones that are are 70-80 bucks min. So I got the castle ice 75 which is good up to 8s and is only $95 so it's worth the extra few bucks to have the ease of programmability and assurance it's a good esc for a few more $ and more head room get the 100amp. For servos I'm trying the solar d771's all around they are a high voltage digital servo. They are super fast and only 17.50 each and I'm going to use dual 2s lipos for redundancy direct to rx no bec needed.
Hope this helps I will post some pics and maybe a video when I am finished setting it up.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have the same exact plane and I have yet to fly it so my advice is based on the research I've done sofar. I am doing the same as you 8s setup and am going the cheapie rought for servos and motor. I heard good things about the tacon Bigfoot 1.10 motor from hobbypartz it's kv is good for 8s and seems like a winner there are a few people using it on a 71 slick and are very happy with it. As far as the esc it doesn't pay to get a china one most of them are not 8s compatable and the high voltage ones that are are 70-80 bucks min. So I got the castle ice 75 which is good up to 8s and is only $95 so it's worth the extra few bucks to have the ease of programmability and assurance it's a good esc for a few more $ and more head room get the 100amp. For servos I'm trying the solar d771's all around they are a high voltage digital servo. They are super fast and only 17.50 each and I'm going to use dual 2s lipos for redundancy direct to rx no bec needed.
Hope this helps I will post some pics and maybe a video when I am finished setting it up.

I did use the tacon Bigfoot on 8s in a 74 edge. It was sufficient in power and efficiency, however I did have some mechanical problems after 10 or so flights. The motor isn't build properly for 3d IMO. I don't think it had enough (and even strong enough) bearings, and the motor shaft pulled out of the bell at least once during flight.
I know others who fly them with success, so don't let this ruin your decision, I just felt it was worth sharing with you.

-Gary

i have seen the reviews on the tacon big foot 110 was going to buy but i have had great luck with motorfly $130 price difference but i know from experience it is a great product that the way i will go probbaly

gyro

GSN Contributor
i have seen the reviews on the tacon big foot 110 was going to buy but i have had great luck with motorfly $130 price difference but i know from experience it is a great product that the way i will go probbaly

I have the two most "comparable" motrolflys, the DM5320 and DM4325. They both put out tons of power and seem bulletproof. Very happy with the Motrolfly motors.

-G

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I've had a Tacon Bigfoot 110 in my 71" Slick for over 18 months now; over 250 flights. Not one issue thus far on 8S power.

If you are a Castle ESC fan, they are having a nice "Black Friday" sale going on at this time...........very nice discounts.

well im going to finish up ordering stuff for my yak this week I just ordered 5 hitec hs985 servos for it i think they will work fine on the motor i was going to order Motorfly 4330-282 but a guy at my flying field who mostly flies 3d suggested the hacker A605s V2 he says he had a plane like this a few years back with a axi motor and two 4500 mah 8s packs all the way in nose and still had to ad around 5oz lead to nose and still on the tail heavy side so why not put the extra weight in motor instead of dead weight price is real close hacker $215 free shipping motorfly $189 plus shipping i hav had motorfly in past but only the small ones dm2820-950s i nerver tried hacker but may any input welcome but the guy at field has been real helpful and has not steered my wrong yet but i know he is brand loyal to hacker and axi thanks Ben

Manta

70cc twin V2
The motrolfly 4325-280 will rock that plane on 8s 20x8 prop-20x10 and you will love it.
The motrolfy 4330 will also turn the plane into a bullet.Ken at Subsonic Planes tests all his motors and can wind them to your spec if needed.
You won't be sorry with Motrolfy.. Manta tested,public approved :)
I am brand loyal to Motrofly for a number of reasons.Best customer service,FAST service,reasonable prices,good warranty,motors run cooler than most as they are more efficient as far as power versus size,and they are just sexy..
That said for fairness i do have a hacker in my 50cc,for now. Nothing wrong with it it has been fine for a number of flights. It do get awful hot but keeps on ticking..

I just finished putting all the gear in mine today, tacon 1.10 , solar d771's, cc ice , 2-2s 1000mah and 2 4s 3700's. it seems to have balanced pretty good it's right in front of the wing spar (no test flights yet maybe next week) to be sure the Cg is good. The manual list the Cg numbers but they at at the wing tip so it's hard to hold the plane up with one person at the tips.
Of

If you go the motrofly you can't go wrong, I would if I had the funds but I'm also finishing a 50cc plane and I ain't putting cheapo stuff in that one

What did you build battery tray out of I was thinking light ply do you have any pics of battery tray and motor mount you built thanks Ben