• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Precision Flight Tutorials Episode 6!

Hey Guys!

I'm back! (Finally) And I have a new video made!

In this episode, I fly and demonstrate what the Basic IMAC sequence looks like, and how to fly it. I don't have a lot to say about this except it's a very good tool to work with.

"Basic" is the entry level of IMAC. Designed to be flown with almost any airplane and pilot skill level. It's to introduce a person to IMAC without overwhelming them. Getting them used to precision and competition, but also allowing the person to have fun! Even if you're not interested in competition, this sequence could help. Making yourself "master" a precision sequence can be a huge stepping stone. For anyone looking to up their skills, this is the place to start.

Now for some tips.

While flying the sequence, imagine a box (no not a square!). The "box" is usually represented by 3 lines painted on the ground. 1 line directly in front of you representing the "center" of the box, then 2 lines to your left and right at 60 degree angles representing the edges of the box. You stand at the intersection of these lines. IMAC does not necessarily have a "box" which means centering and placement of maneuvers "shouldn't" matter, but I disagree. Being an F3A pilot, I am required to fly my sequence within the box and properly place my maneuvers. I do the same with IMAC. This allows you to plan your sequence instead of just throwing maneuvers wherever it works at that time. In my opinion that's unprofessional and looks sloppy.

Always remember to properly center maneuvers. The middle of the maneuver should always be dead on with your or the center line of the box. If you're centered correctly and at the proper distance, then it allows you to set up for your turn around maneuvers. Also remember wind correction and baseline. Constantly be adjusting for the conditions to keep a consistent distance and baseline. This will make the sequence considerably easier to fly and execute precisely.

Lastly I would like to talk about 1 maneuver I didn't cover in the video. The SPIN. Spinning is really quite simple, but very easy to zero or heavily downgrade. A spin is where the wing is completely stalled. The airplane starts horizontal (upright or inverted) then when the wing stalls, ideally the nose "falls" below the "horizon" then a wing falls afterwards initiating the spin. If an airplane either won't "break" into the spin, or constantly wants to fall to one wing or another, some setup will be required. Play with CG location to get the desired effect. Once the spin has "broken" input the proper amount of control (different for every plane and CG location) to make the airplane rotate. IF the spin is done properly, the tail should make a coning motion around in a circle. The airplane should NOT be vertical during a spin, or else the wing is not fully stalled. Oce you've made the proper amount of rotation, stop the airplane and establish a vertical down line.

At this website, you can find information about IMAC and the sequences. I hope at least a few people are eager to join and compete!

http://www.mini-iac.com/

I hope this information has been helpful! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to hit me up!

Thanks!
Brian Strachan

[video=youtube;IJ9prMBHXUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ9prMBHXUo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Sweet video Brian, can't wait to give it a try with my super vyper! Fantastic instructions and walktrhough!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Just saw this one Brian, nice work again. I'm linking it with my vid on our FB page. Gary all ready linked it from the new IMAC forum.

Excellent video and instruction. The only comment I have is that you described the 1/2 Cuban as a 3/8s loop. It is actually a 5/8s loop. Just a slip of the tongue I'm sure.

Rick

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
haha... nice catch... it would be hard to complete it with only a 3/8 loop. I too thought the video was excellent and I knew what you meant :p