• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Precision Flight Tutorials Episode 5!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Good luck in your season. Sounds awesome that you have a club that does seminar, practice etc.... Mind if I ask how you guys kicked that off?

Well, we are in the "talking it up", promotional phase right now but I think we have a fair amount of interest. Cody W, myself and several club members have been discussing it over the past few months. I started the conversation by suggesting a day at the club for folks to come out in a casual, fun fly manner to get circle flyers, precision, IMAC and 3D pilots all in a group to learn what the different disciplines are, do some demonstrations and offer instruction for those who want it. I was trying to dispel some of the prejudice that apparently exists between what I like to call "classic" flyers and IMAC, precision and 3D pilots who prefer to practice as well as fly or "huck". I was fairly new to the club and back into the hobby after 15 years out. I taught aerobatics years ago and always wanted to compete or do airshows but my flying turned "straight and level". This is a way for me to re-energize those skills. I couldn't understand the "rif" and thought it was just silly. We should all be able to share the airspace and the club resources without an "us and them" mentality. We are fortunate to have 2 fields so that makes it easier. We are about to set some dates. In the mean time I've been populating a new club Facebook page with loads of resources, links, articles on IMAC, precision and 3D (this forum!) and other local clubs (fortunately there are a couple active in instruction, 3D and precision). I also thought it would be nice to network all the clubs so resources and knowledge could be shared. We've been "liked" by 17 or so in a couple weeks and and I would guess there are about 10-12 in a club of 55+/- that will show up to check it out. If it's not everyone's thing that's fine, this hobby has a multitude of interests. I just don't like someone badmouthing a discipline that they don't know anything about.
I recently attended an IMAC judging seminar and since then I posted this thread which was my response to a posted discussion thread- 35cc vs 50cc?- http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...ussion-IMAC-Downsizing-Airframes-and-Airspace That led to Cody coming up with an idea that followed our conversations and really crystallized what I was looking for. http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...rested-in-an-entirely-new-type-of-competition
I'm still planning on competing and judging IMAC if I can; we are planning (very excited)an inaugural IMAC at Plum Island, MA in the July/ Aug time frame, still ironing out details. Locally we want to get the "practice" group started in the coming weeks. I'm planning to start it off with a discussion and some demos on aircraft setup which is the foundation to precision performance. I'll keep the forum posted on our progress. We are going to be sampling 3D sequences as the season proceeds so I think it will be fun and productive.
That should answer your question and then some!
Good luck at your club.
Daren

PS. These tutorials are definitely linked from our FB page, they are great! When's the next one Brian? Maybe I can send you some sample 3D sequences and we can integrate them? Just a thought. PM me if interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we are in the "talking it up", promotional phase right now but I think we have a fair amount of interest. Cody W, myself and several club members have been discussing it over the past few months. I started the conversation by suggesting a day at the club for folks to come out in a casual, fun fly manner to get circle flyers, precision, IMAC and 3D pilots all in a group to learn what the different disciplines are, do some demonstrations and offer instruction for those who want it. I was trying to dispel some of the prejudice that apparently exists between what I like to call "classic" flyers and IMAC, precision and 3D pilots who prefer to practice as well as fly or "huck". I was fairly new to the club and back into the hobby after 15 years out. I taught aerobatics years ago and always wanted to compete or do airshows but my flying turned "straight and level". This is a way for me to re-energize those skills. I couldn't understand the "rif" and thought it was just silly. We should all be able to share the airspace and the club resources without an "us and them" mentality. We are fortunate to have 2 fields so that makes it easier. We are about to set some dates. In the mean time I've been populating a new club Facebook page with loads of resources, links, articles on IMAC, precision and 3D (this forum!) and other local clubs (fortunately there are a couple active in instruction, 3D and precision). I also thought it would be nice to network all the clubs so resources and knowledge could be shared. We've been "liked" by 17 or so in a couple weeks and and I would guess there are about 10-12 in a club of 55+/- that will show up to check it out. If it's not everyone's thing that's fine, this hobby has a multitude of interests. I just don't like someone badmouthing a discipline that they don't know anything about.
I recently attended an IMAC judging seminar and since then I posted this thread which was my response to a posted discussion thread- 35cc vs 50cc?- http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...ussion-IMAC-Downsizing-Airframes-and-Airspace That led to Cody coming up with an idea that followed our conversations and really crystallized what I was looking for. http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...rested-in-an-entirely-new-type-of-competition
I'm still planning on competing and judging IMAC if I can; we are planning (very excited)an inaugural IMAC at Plum Island, MA in the July/ Aug time frame, still ironing out details. Locally we want to get the "practice" group started in the coming weeks. I'm planning to start it off with a discussion and some demos on aircraft setup which is the foundation to precision performance. I'll keep the forum posted on our progress. We are going to be sampling 3D sequences as the season proceeds so I think it will be fun and productive.
That should answer your question and then some!
Good luck at your club.
Daren

PS. These tutorials are definitely linked from our FB page, they are great! When's the next one Brian? Maybe I can send you some sample 3D sequences and we can integrate them? Just a thought. PM me if interested.

All I can say is wow... I love the mentality you have going on there and it really seems you've got your head on straight and your eyes set on an AWESOME goal. I wish more people in the hobby would carry that mentality, bet hey, we're only human.

I think so far your plans look pretty solid. What I see is a member of a club that wants to better himself and his fellow pilots in a very meaningful way! I am all for that and think what you're doing is more than awesome! Breaking the "us and them" mentality will be difficult (depending on your club) but it can be so helpful when everyone learns to get along and share meaningful information. Only thing I would say is not so much to separate the different types of flyers, but just know who's who. Get everyone on the same page about who does what and when. Communication is my opinion is one of the MOST important factors in any group of people (especially a bunch of men flying big planes ;)), for when we communicate, we understand each other and better ourselves for it. Seems to me this is all what you're heading for and if you keep with it, you're going to like the result.

On the topic of precision, I think anyone should really know how to fly s straight line. From sport pilots to Christophe Paysant-Le roux (Current F3A world champion) precision can benefit everyone. When I first started competition I hated the idea of precision, I almost literally kicked and screamed not to fly it or pattern. Looking back, I would not be half the pilot I am now had I not done it. Precision has benefited me in so many ways I can't even count. Basic elements and some practice can benefit any member of any club flying any plane. It just helps. I'm glad to see someone who wants to step up and help other people with it!

Getting publicity like facebook and those things help. Provide usable information, and people will come. It's a fact. Facebook is a good tool, use it, advertise your pages, keep up to date, connect various clubs and people and I think you'll be surprised how many "likes" you'll see coming in. Humans crave information...

Awesome! Good luck with your first IMAC! I remember my first. I was so short, I had to stand on my transmitter box to see over the fencing!:tongue: I like IMAC a lot. The people are nice, the flying is fun and the planes are BIG (best part). It's a good experience and I hope you enjoy it.

On the topic of PFT.. I know I've said it over and over, but I just get busy. I actually made a deal with Gary to put one out every other week (Sorry Gary!), but at the time I did not see how little time i'd come down to having. I will get the next episodes out as I can.. I would be very happy to incorporate anything anyone wants! This is for the benefit of the people, not me. If y'all want someone in the videos, PLEASE let me know. Anything I can do to contribute is my goal.

Thanks
Brian

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Brian,

We are like minded for sure! Cody is a invaluable contact for many reasons; instructor, inspiration, INCREDIBLE talent, etc... I think a collective "We" (us here in NH and the NE region, you guys here on 3DRCF and others of like mind) are trying to bring the hobby to the next level. As you said and I fervently agree that "some" precision flying will help EVERY pilot. If you take the time to fly a circuit and land then what's a few more hours learning a nice straight and level line and some wind correction. If that's all you want to do then you have learned enough to fly in conditions that keep others grounded. If you want more God knows you can shoot for the moon. "Communication" is the cornerstone of ANY relationship between 2 or 2 million, ask my wife! I made the poor girl sit through my sappy maiden video of my 60" Extra. She did it with only a few "you are such a little boy making an homage to your toy plane" looks and snickers! Love her.
Ok, we could go on and on I know. We are all on the same page and headed in a good direction. Here's to a great 2013 season. I'll start a thread called something like "Bringing ALL disciplines together" when we actually have bodies at the field implementing this grand plan.