• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Precision Flight Tutorials Episode 5!

Hey Guys!

It's been a while now, but i'm back with Episode 5!

Here we talk about Turn Arounds.

Turn around maneuvers are the maneuvers that set you up for your high "K" factor maneuvers (usually). While turn arounds usually carry a lower score factor, they are very important to master. When you're in competition on a windy day, nobody else is correction, they're bombing their sequence, this is the time to step up and impress the judges. Turn arounds should be given a lot more attention than they are. They are your bread and butter in a sequence and here is why.

When you pay little attention to your turn around, you come out at an unpredictable distance, baseline, and orientation. When this happens, you're not properly set up for your high scoring center maneuver and you WILL not gain maximum score. Here I will put a little list of things to pay attention to when turning around.

1. Distance. Entering your turn around at the proper distance will make or break the next maneuver (Unless it's a cross box, more on that later). The standard distance for F3A is 150 meters. This is a comfortable distance to fly at and will give you plenty of time for your sequence. IMAC doesn't really consider what distance you fly at except to an extreme. So be consistent on your distance. Don't fly in your face, but don't also let the next state over know you're flying ;)

2. Entrance baseline. This is the height you enter the maneuver at. Having a comfortable baseline will allow you plenty of time to execute the maneuver properly and precisely. A good baseline should be somewhere in the range of 100+ feet in my opinion. Play around with it and become comfortable.

3. Wind correction. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wind correct on a turn around. I cannot stress this enough. If the wind is blowing hard and you're not correcting, you will come out in a bad position and not prepared for your center maneuver. Always use rudder and elevator throughout your maneuver and put the plane exactly where YOU want it, not where it wants to go.

4. Exit baseline. With almost all turn arounds, it does not matter where you exit as long as your maneuver legs are the same length and rolls/snaps are centered in them. Use this to your advantage. If you're flying too low, use the turn around to establish a higher baseline and visa versa. This is quite important and can save a sequence.

All in all, pay attention to your turn arounds. They just might win you a contest!

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up.

Thanks
Brian

[video=youtube;7GerzP7aTHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GerzP7aTHc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Another excellent episode Brian, great job emphasizing an often overlooked area!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
This is the first time I have come across these videos and it makes me excited to check out more of them.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hey Guys!

It's been a while now, but i'm back with Episode 5!

Here we talk about Turn Arounds.

Turn around maneuvers are the maneuvers that set you up for your high "K" factor maneuvers (usually). While turn arounds usually carry a lower score factor, they are very important to master. When you're in competition on a windy day, nobody else is correction, they're bombing their sequence, this is the time to step up and impress the judges. Turn arounds should be given a lot more attention than they are. They are your bread and butter in a sequence and here is why.

When you pay little attention to your turn around, you come out at an unpredictable distance, baseline, and orientation. When this happens, you're not properly set up for your high scoring center maneuver and you WILL not gain maximum score. Here I will put a little list of things to pay attention to when turning around.

1. Distance. Entering your turn around at the proper distance will make or break the next maneuver (Unless it's a cross box, more on that later). The standard distance for F3A is 150 meters. This is a comfortable distance to fly at and will give you plenty of time for your sequence. IMAC doesn't really consider what distance you fly at except to an extreme. So be consistent on your distance. Don't fly in your face, but don't also let the next state over know you're flying ;)

2. Entrance baseline. This is the height you enter the maneuver at. Having a comfortable baseline will allow you plenty of time to execute the maneuver properly and precisely. A good baseline should be somewhere in the range of 100+ feet in my opinion. Play around with it and become comfortable.

3. Wind correction. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wind correct on a turn around. I cannot stress this enough. If the wind is blowing hard and you're not correcting, you will come out in a bad position and not prepared for your center maneuver. Always use rudder and elevator throughout your maneuver and put the plane exactly where YOU want it, not where it wants to go.

4. Exit baseline. With almost all turn arounds, it does not matter where you exit as long as your maneuver legs are the same length and rolls/snaps are centered in them. Use this to your advantage. If you're flying too low, use the turn around to establish a higher baseline and visa versa. This is quite important and can save a sequence.

All in all, pay attention to your turn arounds. They just might win you a contest!

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up.

Thanks
Brian

[video=youtube;7GerzP7aTHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GerzP7aTHc[/video]

Brian,
Just caught up with this one. Great tutorial on turnarounds and excellent emphasis on the wind corrections. I just did my first judging seminar and plan to compete and hopefully judge this season. Getting ready to maiden my 60" EF Extra which will be a practice airframe and waiting on a DA35 for a 78" EF Extra 300 which I will compete with in Basic, maybe Sportsman if Basic goes well. We will be starting seminar/ practice/ instructional days at our club in May. This forum will definitely be a recommended viewing. Thanks, Daren

Brian,
Just caught up with this one. Great tutorial on turnarounds and excellent emphasis on the wind corrections. I just did my first judging seminar and plan to compete and hopefully judge this season. Getting ready to maiden my 60" EF Extra which will be a practice airframe and waiting on a DA35 for a 78" EF Extra 300 which I will compete with in Basic, maybe Sportsman if Basic goes well. We will be starting seminar/ practice/ instructional days at our club in May. This forum will definitely be a recommended viewing. Thanks, Daren

Daren,

Thanks for the positive words and the recommendation! I hope all goes well with your new panes, and the very best of luck with you seminars!

Thanks
Brian

joshgluck

100cc
Brian,

Good luck in your season. Sounds awesome that you have a club that does seminar, practice etc.... Mind if I ask how you guys kicked that off?