• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
It appears this kit was designed per a full scale Challenger, in order to match the Bulldog the wing tips would need some sweep to them. But being I am not doing it as a scale build I decided, after cutting one wing tip, not to make the change. I feared one "scale detail" would lead to another and the next thing I'd know is it became an all out scale build. After all, I do have everything to go scale with. See I'm thinking it without wanting to.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

jeff

30cc
Good eye, I never noticed that. The top wing tips are swept back while the bottom remains straight. Less drag I'm thinking. I can see this plane as your 3D performance plane more than the Eagle and therfore keeping it lighter is essential. Cosmetic scale appearance never hurts, cockpit dash, rivit lines(crews), decals, etc. The DLE 111 will give you all the power needed to toss the plane around like a rag doll. Their a power house of a motor for the money! As long as its structurally sound, which you know all about (the Red Eagle and Bulldog are solid). Had a DLE 111 on my Pilot 37% Edge 540 before switching it over to a ZDZ 120. Similar performance but, now it pulls like a mule. Ya, sometimes I'm over the top but, all in good fun, you know that...what are friends for if you cant bust each other's chops now and then.

Jeff

Keep up the great work! Those wings look nice. Also where did you get those led bars from? Perfect size weights.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Jeff. Both top and bottom wings are swept as noticeable in the following pic. The lead ingots came from a guy on Ebay, 10 1lb Lyman ingot's for 12 bucks. If your looking to get some I'll look up his sellers name. He is a great guy to deal with, he sent an extra ingot, a mint, and a nice thank you note.

Attachments

• Rp43079.jpg
    Rp43079.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 184

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
By the way, for those interested, I just received a call from my congressman. He says they are aware of what the FAA has done and are in the process of rewriting the bill to make the law more applicable to excluding model aircraft. I took the conversation as that even though they understand something has to be done about drones, and I agreed, they do not like the direction the FAA has taken in regards to model aircraft. I mentioned that as an AMA member, a modeler that flies well within the CBO's recommendations, the CBO follows the law/336, our worry of this over reach is it will in effect choke the life out of the hobby. And I also mentioned that the AMA, it's chartered clubs, and sanctioned events probably have the safest record of any type of activity in the states. And to my surprise he agreed.

Last edited:

jeff

30cc
Yes, I'm interested in the ingots, just wish they were gold. Lol. Both wings tips being swept sounds like a lot of work.

Jeff

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I'll look for his name. The work I don't mind, apparently. But once started down that road it would not end in a light and capable airframe. And I know me, if I do one I'll do them all but if I skip this first one then I'll skip the rest.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
By the way, for those interested, I just received a call from my congressman. He says they are aware of what the FAA has done and are in the process of rewriting the bill to make the law more applicable to excluding model aircraft. I took the conversation as that even though they understand something has to be done about drones, and I agreed, they do not like the direction the FAA has taken in regards to model aircraft. I mentioned that as an AMA member, a modeler that flies well within the CBO's recommendations, the CBO follows the law/336, our worry of this over reach is it will in effect choke the life out of the hobby. And I also mentioned that the AMA, it's chartered clubs, and sanctioned events probably have the safest record of any type of activity in the states. And to my surprise he agreed.
Sounds like good news.

And keep the builds coming> :)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Interesting! I'm glad to hear someone in Washington has some sense.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes, I'm interested in the ingots, just wish they were gold. Lol. Both wings tips being swept sounds like a lot of work.

Jeff
I can't find the name of the guy I bought my ingots from. There are a couple on Ebay that sells them though. The wing tips are a little bit of extra work to sweep them but not a major task.

jeff

30cc
Thanks Rob, I'll find them now that I know where you got them. My suggestion is to leave the wings alone or you will be finding yourself going all out scale and just enjoy a light weight BEAST of a plane. I know everyone is different but, I don't see this being your last build.

Jeff

Now, get back to work. I haven't seen a post showing any work for today.