• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 37% 107" Edge 4 Banger

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just about finished. I finished sealing the aileron hinge lines. And as anyone who has owned or does now own a Pilot Edge, we've all discovered Pilot cuts their ailerons about 3/8" short of being flush with wing tip. They do this intentionally to allow for free movement in the event the SFG's are used. Personally I think it looks a little cheesy and below quality. Soo... as with my 87" Pilot Edge, I chose to "peel" back the covering and add balsa stock to the aileron tip. After sanding, shaping and re-covering, the ailerons now match the wing tips and look much better.

I will mount the wheel pants tomorrow and then keep working on the baffling.

I will post some "pre-maiden" preview photos once complete.

20150708_215654.jpg
20150708_215635.jpg

emtp275

100cc
Nice work my 30center extra is the same way, I may do this to it but for now I am playing with the SFG's to see if i want them or not

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I take it that my Edge is this way also?
Yes, your 50cc Edge is also the same way. I don't like them that way, so I extend them. Most every other manufacturer that supplies side force generators doesn't cut their ailerons short. Or at least not that I've seen. But it's not a big deal. Simply adding on to the ailerons doesn't take that long. And they look so much better when done. Besides, I don't use SFG's any way.

emtp275

100cc
Yes, your 50cc Edge is also the same way. I don't like them that way, so I extend them. Most every other manufacturer that supplies side force generators doesn't cut their ailerons short. Or at least not that I've seen. But it's not a big deal. Simply adding on to the ailerons doesn't take that long. And they look so much better when done. Besides, I don't use SFG's any way.
Correct Most supply a spacer to keep the Ailerons from hitting the SFG simple and leaves the wing looking a lot better at the ends.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just about done with the baffling. Ugh...can I change my mind on the motor now? Lol.
20150711_190402.jpg
20150711_205227.jpg
20150711_205315.jpg

Just a little bit more to do on top of the motor and build an air deflector on the bottom of the fuse. I've opened up the lower inlet on the cowl and will build a velocity tube inside to help "draw" air through to create a vacuum that should help pull air down through the cylinders and sucked out the bottom of the fuse.

I did something very similar to this on my 260. Although it's a twin and won't have the heat generated like a quad, air flow is really good and my temps are consistent of below 200.