• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC PAU Extra Build 105" assembly

Rusty 73

100cc
So i ordered some Jr screws for my MKS servos along with Jr rubber gourmounts and Jr eyelets , i think they make superb hardware for the servos.

What i found out is the Jr rubber gourmets do not fit into the MKS gourmet holes , the Jr's were to large in diameter and won't allow the eyelet to even go into the hole of the gourmount .

So i used the MKS rubber mounts even though they seem very soft and could allow the servo to move in the mounts under high force outputs .
Something these 599 servos could do very easily .

I measured the diameter of the screw with a calliper to get i diameter 2.36 mm.

IMG_2678.jpg

This is the eyelets for the my MKS servos 2.48mm , you can see the factory hardware in the package .

IMG_2684.jpg

The MKS screws for mounting are 2.51 mm, i was going to use these but found that the Jr servo screws had a much better phillps head and didn't slip out when i mounted the servo into the mounts. The MKS screw kept on slipping even with the Snap-On #1 phillps head tip i used , the Jr's have a tighter tolerance were the bit fits into the screw and are close to the same diameter .
IMG_2680.jpg

These hex cap screws #3 , i was going to use them but found that had to large of diameter and dug into the eyelet for the rubber mounts .
I perfer the hex screw it's alot easier in assemblying and won't strip the head as easy .

IMG_2682.jpg

I used some carbon fibre screw plates that are placed over the gourmets and I think will firm up the soft rubber gourmets

IMG_2687.jpg

and help prevent any movement of the servo.

Last edited:

Rusty 73

100cc
Finally got the rudder servo mounted in the rear of the Extra , the precise feel with the servo this close to the rudder is well worth it any balancing issues i might encounter later .:big-grin:

I got this idea from Orthobird who did a similar style except much heavier hardware and carbon fiber rod .
I used a threaded 4-40 rod and a carbon fiber rod over the rod with a fiber lock and regular 4-40 nut tigthen againist the rod .
This will help prevent any deflection the rod might come into during flight conditions , thanks Orthobird for your post push rods on custom made rods.

View attachment 93490

View attachment 93491

View attachment 93492

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got this pilot figure from G-force Aircraft design (Spain) which is a 25% scale pilot that only weighs 2.1 oz or 59.5 grams moulded out of fibreglass .

The dashboard is from Carden Aircraft , again thanks to Orthobird for the help with this :shake:

Orthobird help pointted me towards both of these products which are very low weight with great detail compared with other opitions out there which weight a lot more for the same size and are much harder too install.View attachment 92899
Love you pilot he looks great.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
During the assembling of the hardware to the servo I noticed an issue with the turn buckles .

It seems that when they were produced the left hand thread wasn't completely cut into the the rod leaving a partly cut thread that was cutting into the 4-40 ball joints View attachment 93482View attachment 93483

So of the hobby shop and i picked some replacement turnbuckle from Hanger 9 the top picture has the new H9 turnbuckle on the right and the next photo shows a few of the bad threaded ones the was supplied with the Airframe .

This photo shows the difference between a correctly manufactured one and the poorly made one .

I just didn't want an issue with the turnbuckle pulling out of the plastic ball joint and creating possible damage to the servo gear train .

Just something that everyone should be aware of when building with hardware supplied with the aircraft .

View attachment 93484
That is good to know never took a real close look at them but will now. Thanks.