• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU 30% Sukhoi SU-26

kork

70cc twin V2
I like the build, The Sukhoi is one of my favorite and on the gotta have list! I called PAU last week to ask if the box was short enough to get on a plane in Orlando but at 68" for the fuse I think it needs to go over the road. I plan on sneaking to Herves hobbyshop when we are in Disney to actually see one of these.
You have a nice shop there in Elwood, is that a" Yellow" jug hanging on the wall?
I like the hubs that come on Sullivan wheels also.

Great Job!
Jason

Tseres

150cc
I like the build, The Sukhoi is one of my favorite and on the gotta have list! I called PAU last week to ask if the box was short enough to get on a plane in Orlando but at 68" for the fuse I think it needs to go over the road. I plan on sneaking to Herves hobbyshop when we are in Disney to actually see one of these.
You have a nice shop there in Elwood, is that a" Yellow" jug hanging on the wall?
I like the hubs that come on Sullivan wheels also.

Great Job!
Jason

Thanks for the complements. That is a Top Flite Jug 86in. W/S.

The Sukhoi looks better in person then it does on pictures. I think you're going to like it when you get one.

Tseres

150cc
Christmas is early this year.:woohoo!:

Preview: MVVS-58. Miltons RCXP Ignition Conversion Kit. Black Beauty Pitts Smoke Muffler...
biggrin5.gif

I have a Club meeting to go to. This is going for Show and Tell.. An Explanation will come soon.

DSC_0153.JPGDSC_0154.JPGDSC_0155.jpgDSC_0156.JPGDSC_0157.JPGDSC_0158.JPGDSC_0159.JPGDSC_0160.JPGDSC_0161.JPG

Tseres

150cc
Someone asked about sealing hinge gaps. Here is how I do mine... I seal both top and bottom. I don't cover the hinges cause they resist the motion of the aileron and they make an unpleasant noise while moving.

DSC_0162.JPGDSC_0163.JPGDSC_0164.JPGDSC_0165.JPGDSC_0166.JPGDSC_0167.JPGDSC_0168.JPGDSC_0169.JPGDSC_0170.JPG

Tseres

150cc
This is how I became the owner of the MVVS-58. Steve is an Engine guy. I'm not. I just want to flip it and fly it.:)

So you guys think this is an MVVS-58. Nop!

This is an Aussie Hot Rod... Steve Version.

I got this message from Steve and he offered me a choice of a 58 or an 80 cc MVVS to put in my Sukhoi. I told him that I didn't care for the ignition and that is why I've been staying away from them. He said no problem he would change it over to one of Milton's RC excel conversion. At this point I got interested in a hurry. So I accepted his offer.

About a week goes by and he sends me another message that says that the package is caught in Limbo between the two countries. Then he gives me a list of the things he changed on the engine.

Here is what he wrote.

What's coming to you
MVVS 58 - "Steve Version".
The "Steve" Version has had a couple of modifications done to make it more user friendly.

Mod 1
On the MVVS Engines, the inlet duct is angled. The "Standard" angle has the carb pointing "downwards" when the engine is mounted inverted (as most will be). This can be changed easily by undoing the 4 screws that hold the backplate on and rotating the backplate. The "Steve" version has this already done for you (I turned the backplate 180 degrees - I have suggested to MVVS many times that this is how they should be shipped as standard as 90% of the engines will be mounted inverted - but if Pe couldn't win that fight, neither could I.

Mod 2
Remove the MVVS (Valach) ignition and replace it with a more common one. The original MVVS ignition required more than 6.5 volts to power it (at 6.5 volts the ignition stops working), It also has a separate ground wire that can be a PITA on some installations.
The original mounting lug for the Valach Sensor is Filed down, a Universal Sensor mounting bracket (From Milton) is installed (at 28 degrees BTDC) and a friendly ignition (also from Milton) that takes from 4.8v to 12v is included). Whilst doing this, 2 timing marks are also installed on the front of the crankcase - they are 2 witness marks that align with the leading edge of the hub where the ignition magnet is - they are TDC and 28 degrees BTDC. - This is all done.

Mod 3
"Black Beauty" Pitts Exhaust as the standard MVVS options are not compact. This exhaust has the option to install a smoke nipple (Included - goes where the blank plug is installed) and also has the mounting screws with it.

Everything else is standard MVVS.
I didn't include the bottle of "Run-in" oil that MVVS usually include with their engines in case it caused some form of DG problem. Basically it is 250ml of Mobil 1 Synthetic Racing oil that gets run at 30:1 until it is all gone. Run the engine in exactly the same as you would a DA and run the same oil and ratios that work for you on your DA's and you will be fine. (So many options that I won't be too specific there - do what works for you LOL). Redline, Stihl and Mobil have all worked very well for me, My planes get the same fuelil as all my other 2 strokes get (40:1 Mobil because it is easiest for me to get here). I also use Premium pump gas (we have 3 grades at our pumps here - our standard is 91 Octane - I use 95 octane - we can also get 98 octane at the pumps). R100 Race car fuel is a bad choice though.

So now you know Why I call it the "Aussie Hot Rod":way_to_go:

Tseres

150cc
Have the hinge gaps sealed on the tail surfs. Started putting on the PAU Hardware... Those of us that have bought PAU planes before know that the hardware kit is the best in the industry. You don't even have to change out the screws. Its all first class stuff.

DSC_0171.JPG DSC_0172.JPG DSC_0173.JPG DSC_0174.JPG DSC_0175.JPG DSC_0176.JPG

Tseres

150cc
Started mounting the engine today. I had to make up some one inch plywood standoffs. I can still move the motor back a little. Right now the needle valve screws are in line with the firewall. I'll take a closer look tomorrow as to what I need to do. I had to much running around to do today. If I move it back a 1/4 inch I think it will clear the firewall.

DSC_0177.JPGDSC_0178.JPGDSC_0179.JPGDSC_0180.JPGDSC_0181.JPGDSC_0182.JPGDSC_0183.JPG

Tseres

150cc
I finished setting the engine. Ended up with 1 1/4 in. for the backset on the MVVS. I will probably switch out the wooden standoffs with aluminum before I fly it. What I have is fine for finishing the build.

Set the cowl back a little bit. I was told the round cowl planes like a little more clearance then I was used to... Put the 3 blade 25 in. prop on there just for looks and to check the backset on the cowl. Sure looks great on there. Wish the motor would pull that prop. I'm going to try a 24-9 Falcon on there first. I'm digging into the unknown with this engine but I'm sure it will be great when I get it set up and ironed out.

put the plane together for the first time. I still have the side windows to mount then finish cutting the cowl for cooling and the muffler.

DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0004.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0006.JPGDSC_0007.JPGDSC_0008.JPGDSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG