• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Oil debate

Stihl HP ultra, the silver bottled synthetic stuff. 91 octane pump gas mixed to 32:1 from day one till expiration. And BTW, my pump gas is ethanol enriched, never an issue.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Stihl HP ultra, the silver bottled synthetic stuff. 91 octane pump gas mixed to 32:1 from day one till expiration. And BTW, my pump gas is ethanol enriched, never an issue.

Good combo, lots of guy's can't get corn free gas and seems it's just tygon and carb if you run it dry that suffer. Stihl HP is good stuff.

And I don't know of the stihl oil has conditioners/additives that aid with the "ethanol" issue. To be honest, I've never had an issue. I do run viton line inside my fuel tank and tygon everywhere else.

I have been using Stihl HP Ultra for many years. I was curious this year so I switched over to Redline. Other than smell I have not seen any differences between the two oils. Both are great and offered great engine protection. Carbon build up on my DA 150 and 170s are about the same, cylinders look great, engine heat seems the same and so is power. I do like the smell of the exhaust of Redline though. I can get Stihl at a local dealer but I have been ordering Redline on Amazon. It actually makes it pretty easy to get and I have it in 2 days. I have some back up bottles of Stihl if I need it but plan on sticking with Redline for now. $71.00 shipped for a gallon of Redline.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
To me it looks like the redline keeps the engine cleaner (not the plane lol). I switched from stihl to redline earlier this year. I have pictures from one of my 120's of the cylinders with aproximately 20 gallons of strictly using stihl hp. I have another 120 that was completely rebuilt (new cylinders/pistons) when I switched to redline that I have easily burned well over 20 gallons in since the switch. Next time that plane is down for maintenance I will pull the jug off and see what kind of difference there is vs the other 120 that ran stihl. Also on that note, the engine that ran stihl but wasn't rebuilt when I switched, is still blowing all kinds of junk out of the exhaust since the switch to redline....I can only assume that its cleaning the inside of the engine and once I get more time (I probably only have around 3 gallons through that one since the switch) I will pull a jug off on compare to what it looked like prior to the switch. I did however have a muffler slightly come loose on the 20+ gallon engine and while I had the muffler off to redress it, I shined light in there and looked through the plug hole and to me I could not see any carbon build up on top of the piston and from the exhaust port, from what I can see the piston looks dang near brand new.

As for any gain in performance, I haven't noticed any difference there. I'm also not a temperature nazi so I don't know if the engines running any cooler or not. As long as my plugs aren't indicating lean or as long as the cylinders aren't scorching hot or discolored and the engine is not losing power during abusive flights, I call it good. I also check my plugs quite frequently when an engine is new or has changed planes to make sure the back cylinder stays a nice dark bronze/light brown color and doesn't turn white or black. Usually the front cylinder plug is a shade darker.

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
After 3 years of Stihl with no alcohol gas, I sent my 120 back to DA for an inspection. They said to keep doing what I have been doing.

Judge

70cc twin V2
After 3 years of Stihl with no alcohol gas, I sent my 120 back to DA for an inspection. They said to keep doing what I have been doing.

Where are you getting non-ethanol containing gas?? Almost impossible to find out here in SOCAL.