• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

NEW Twisted Hobbys 39" Crack Yak WOW

I fly 60 expo on full rates. Flaps on a 3D plane LOL...

Thanks. For the flaps (flaperons) I have one problem hoping to solve. Where I fly is the ground very rough so I always handstart and land somehow, seldom smooth.. I use little flaperon on my Sbach so slow down the landings.

Since I live in Sweden among polar bears and peguins I need a Tx glove half of the year, fine when I fly helis but I do not know how to get the Yak in the air since I cannot hand launch it and quick enough get the hand in the Tx glove, with some flaperons possibly it could take off in short enough distance. I'll see when I try.

I've been hand launching mine pretty much exclusively. Just hold the plane at about a 45 degree angle, push the throttle stick up to about 3/4th, and let her go. She will climb at that angle hands off for enough time to get your hand in a mitt. For landing, I wouldn't overthink it with flaperons. You will be amazed at how well the CY flies, even at very slow speeds. With just a light breeze, point her nose upwind and you can bring your groundspeed down to a crawl without stalling. No flaperons needed. Piece of cake.

I've been hand launching mine pretty much exclusively. Just hold the plane at about a 45 degree angle, push the throttle stick up to about 3/4th, and let her go. She will climb at that angle hands off for enough time to get your hand in a mitt. For landing, I wouldn't overthink it with flaperons. You will be amazed at how well the CY flies, even at very slow speeds. With just a light breeze, point her nose upwind and you can bring your groundspeed down to a crawl without stalling. No flaperons needed. Piece of cake.

uploadfromtaptalk1416123439368.jpg Sounds great!

AKfreak

150cc
Yeah nose in the wind or no wind, use the elevator to hold the nose up, and pull the power. Keep pulling on the elevator as you reduce power, and the plane will just park on a spot on the ground. No flaperons needed, then later on just learn to hover catch.

Blues Pilot

New to GSN!
Thank you,
I'm a new ole guy, I have a hot rod 38in I'm working on and ever tip about everything, I go over and over. In fact I never worked or flu fomie so the type of glue and tips are all new for me. Now to get the electrics mounted and get the CG. I was also thinking of a tale wheel. I'll try a bottle of this foam glue you using. With the different type foam I keep reading don't use this, but us that. I've used all kinds of stuff from back as far as the early 70s. I can't believer the many different types of glues now.. If you want I'll let know how things turn out.. Need a weather break tho. Thanks again Blues Pilot

AKfreak

150cc
I use a match box car wheels for tail wheels on many foamies. They work great. I would love to hear how yours turns out. Keep us posted.... AKf

dougb

50cc
Thanks to [MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION] for a some great build tips. I'm going to get started on my Yak shortly. :)
Is the metal motor mount worth it? Also I have some Hitec 65MG servos, should do the job, right?

Doug B.

AKfreak

150cc
I have had great luck with the stock version as well as the cf version. Brad at twisted, doesn't have anything in his inventory that's junk. I think each thing they sell has been carefully selected, and is added value for his line.is it worth it, I say yep. Again, the stock mount works just fine.

dougb

50cc
Totally agree TH is quality that I find worth the money. Others see me fly and want one until I give them the price. Too much for foam is the number one excuse. LOL. Good thing it's only about 1 out of 4 that give me that excuse. Others head to the website. :)

The part I'm talking about is:
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/RcFact...-Motor-Mount-TMW-39-Blue-Alum-Motor-Mount.htm

I usually avoid the bling, but was curious if anyone had used it. I'll stick with the stock mount. Thanks for the quick answer. Placing an order today and my cart is about ready for checkout.

[MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION] Thanks again for the great TH threads and information. :clap:

Doug B.