• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

joshgluck

100cc
So as they say better late then never, right?
I've been posting in other threads and lurking for a little while so figured it's time to say hi. Allow myself to introduce myself:

I'm Josh, a member of Jersey Coast Sport Fliers, located in Middletown NJ. We fly out of Dorbrook Park which is part of the Monmouth County parks system. The club has been a round for a long time and I've been a member for almost 2 years.

It was 2 years ago that I started getting back into the hobby after a 15+ year hiatus. Back then it was JR helis for me like the ergo. 46 and 60. After starting with quads this go round, now it's all planks and the hangar is definitely in need of a slight sell off. It's tight on space and the wife has talked me into a new rule of thumb: 1 in means 1 out. Thanks to WRAM I'm over due on three out. In addition to all the 3dhs in my signature, I have a precision aerobatics bad boy v2, an ultra stick 60, twist 40, big stik 40, and a razor 3d. I really like my dx8 and dx6i radios but would sell them both for a jeti after playing with it at WRAM.

I'm definitely a n00b with 3d and I'd love to learn more. I bought an Osiris to try pattern as an attempt to refine my skills and work on accurate inputs. It is still sitting in the box from my birthday in January as I'm really not into the assembly part and definitely not a builder. Also with two kids and a full time job it's hard to find some time. My goal is to start with getting everything ready for April so I can start flying these amazing planes.

Hit me up if you need help as I've already been reaching out to a few of you for advice etc.

Thanks

TomS

New to GSN!
Hi everyone

Stumbled onto the forum reading about 30cc gas airplanes.

I taught myself how to crash airplanes late in 2007. I now fly with confidence but still do stupid things every now and then. Most of my airplanes are 40 size nitro. My favorite is the Hog Bipe with an OS91FS.

I'm thinking about getting a Slick 71". How do I know if I'm ready to handle something like this? What do these fly like? The 3D stuff I see in videos is far down the road for me. I can fly inverted and do the basic aerobatic manurers. I'm wondering if being able to do some maneuvers cleanly has something to do with the airplanes I have.
I'm also thinking the 3D Hobbies 74" Edge 540 might be an option since the Slick isn't in stock.
Is there a better choice to learn with in the 30cc size?

Here's picture of my airplanes. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tmjb05/sets/
I also finishing up a cheap no name 40 Ulimate bipe ARF.

hone

150cc
Hello TomS,

As long as you are proficient at take offs and landings i'm sure you'd have no issue with either the Slick or Edge. I've flown both and for general sport flying they are some of the most stable, easy to fly planes out there. They're just point and shoot and they go exactly where you tell them to. You might want to start by toning the rates down a bit but as you get comfortable you can crank them up and see what the plane can do.

If you also want to learn some 3D i'd suggest a small EPP plane like something from Twisted Hobbys or something like the Skywing full fuse foamies. If you're just interested in basic aerobatics and sport flying pick the one you like the looks of and have you'll have a good time.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
So as they say better late then never, right?
I've been posting in other threads and lurking for a little while so figured it's time to say hi. Allow myself to introduce myself:

I'm Josh, a member of Jersey Coast Sport Fliers, located in Middletown NJ. We fly out of Dorbrook Park which is part of the Monmouth County parks system. The club has been a round for a long time and I've been a member for almost 2 years.

It was 2 years ago that I started getting back into the hobby after a 15+ year hiatus. Back then it was JR helis for me like the ergo. 46 and 60. After starting with quads this go round, now it's all planks and the hangar is definitely in need of a slight sell off. It's tight on space and the wife has talked me into a new rule of thumb: 1 in means 1 out. Thanks to WRAM I'm over due on three out. In addition to all the 3dhs in my signature, I have a precision aerobatics bad boy v2, an ultra stick 60, twist 40, big stik 40, and a razor 3d. I really like my dx8 and dx6i radios but would sell them both for a jeti after playing with it at WRAM.

I'm definitely a n00b with 3d and I'd love to learn more. I bought an Osiris to try pattern as an attempt to refine my skills and work on accurate inputs. It is still sitting in the box from my birthday in January as I'm really not into the assembly part and definitely not a builder. Also with two kids and a full time job it's hard to find some time. My goal is to start with getting everything ready for April so I can start flying these amazing planes.

Hit me up if you need help as I've already been reaching out to a few of you for advice etc.

Thanks

Welcome Josh. Always good to have another NE region person in the mix. Enjoy. As you've experienced all ready this is a great site and a very helpful, respectful group.
Daren

joshgluck

100cc
Hello TomS,

As long as you are proficient at take offs and landings i'm sure you'd have no issue with either the Slick or Edge. I've flown both and for general sport flying they are some of the most stable, easy to fly planes out there. They're just point and shoot and they go exactly where you tell them to. You might want to start by toning the rates down a bit but as you get comfortable you can crank them up and see what the plane can do.

If you also want to learn some 3D i'd suggest a small EPP plane like something from Twisted Hobbys or something like the Skywing full fuse foamies. If you're just interested in basic aerobatics and sport flying pick the one you like the looks of and have you'll have a good time.

+1 on the twisted hobbies suggestion. I had a crack yak and loved it. Easy to assemble and a blast to fly. Much less pucker factor since welders will heal all wounds. Highly suggest extra tubes of welders and extra prop saver bands.. Never broke a prop but did break a few of the bands as I never out the LG on mine.

Recently sold it to my cousin for him and his kids and picked up the 3dhs EPP 48" extra to replace it. Hoping that warm ups and exercising the fingers on the EPP like I did with the crack yak will save me some broken balsa.

One tip I was given though is expo yes dual rates no. The guys I fly with are always worried about removing full throw just in case you get into trouble. What I have done is to out different levels of expo on the fmode switch so I have different levels of softening and always have full throws. Seems to have worked well. The only exception is my profile glow based bad boy from precision aerobatics. On full throws that thing is crazy so I have a flight mode that has slightly less throw.

dth7

Hi everyone

I taught myself how to crash airplanes late in 2007. I now fly with confidence but still do stupid things every now and then. Most of my airplanes are 40 size nitro. My favorite is the Hog Bipe with an OS91FS.

I'm thinking about getting a Slick 71". How do I know if I'm ready to handle something like this? What do these fly like? The 3D stuff I see in videos is far down the road for me. I can fly inverted and do the basic aerobatic manurers. I'm wondering if being able to do some maneuvers cleanly has something to do with the airplanes I have.
I'm also thinking the 3D Hobbies 74" Edge 540 might be an option since the Slick isn't in stock.

Hey Tom,
Welcome. I too am back in (all in!) after about 15 years. Been back at it a little over a year. I was only casually in with 20 size glow planes but have been bitten by the electric, 3D, IMAC, Precision, EDF... bugs all at once. Like getting stranded in an RC jungle and getting bitten by spiders and snakes carrying a deadly (for your wallet) RC addict virus. Anyway, I started with foamies and then flat EPP foam from Twisted and Tech One (EPP makes for great practice planes). My intro to balsa was a 3DHS 48" Edge and it has been great. I threw in a Peaks foam Biplane for fun and now have a 60" EF Extra 300EXP on the bench almost ready to go, a 78" EF Extra waiting on a DA35cc engine, and a 48" EF MXS. The practice planes are the Tech One 43" yak, a 32" TH Edge and a 32" TH Crack Yak. Any and all of the above would fit your needs. The EF Extras are very popular and I can't wait to get mine in the air. The Edge is a little floaty but a blast to huck around. I'm dying to chuck the MXS around too, they can be ballistic. For precision and IMAC its the Extras for sure. You can't go wrong with any of the 3DHS or EF airframes. Enjoy. There is plenty of experience on this site so ask away and an answer will be on the way shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Hi everyone

Welcome to the site, Tom!

It's not a Slick (but an Extra), but have you seen this?

http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1008-3DHS-72-Extra

I just built one that I haven't had a chance to fly yet, but in theory it should be a great plane for dialling down the throws and cruising around and throwing in some occasional aerobatics. But as I said, I haven't maidened mine yet, so there are other people here who can give you a better opinion.

TomS

New to GSN!
Thanks for the welcome.

Does 3D Hobbies bring airplanes to the Toledo show to buy to avoid shipping?

3dNater

TomS any of the 3dhs airframes will be great sport flyers. It might be nice for you to fly a plane that is sport friendly but fully 3d capable. You can start turning the rates up as you get more comfortable with it. They fly really floaty and are easy to land. I think you will find them easier to fly than your sport planes and you will feel comfortable in the first few flights.