Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mike Hurley Extra

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale RC General Discussions' started by BalsaDust, Feb 27, 2017.

1. The Hurley Extra brings back some great memories. I built two back when the plane was featured in MA, flew one and sold the other in the bones. The one I flew was built with foam rib wings and the other was foam core per plans. The foam rib wings were 6 ounces lighter each than the foam core wing version. I cut the cores from 1# virgin foam. Had to borrow the neighbors pickup truck to haul all the foam blocks home.
    I later built an Extra 200 using three views from the Extra service manual and techniques used in the Hurley design. It was modeled after a full scale photo found on Airliners.net. Foam rib wings and stab, ZDZ80J engine.
    It's no longer with us!!!
    1146273.jpg IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0167.jpg

Attached Files:

2. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

I have memories of planes that are 'no longer with us'. :(

TonyHallo likes this.
  3. +1
    I still miss a couple of them.

TonyHallo and dhal22 like this.
  4. Hinckley Bill

Hinckley Bill 50cc

Sent you a pm.....plans are rolled and ready to go

5. sps3172

sps3172 New to GSN!

Tony, can you share any details about the foam rib technique, especially as it applies to the Hurley Extra?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  6. The only changes are the sheeting thickness and spar size and material. It has been a while but I'm pretty sure I used 3/8" spruce for the Hurley spars and 3/32" balsa sheeting. Here are a few photos from the Extra 200 build. 02-18-07 016.jpg 02-18-07 018.jpg 02-18-07 031.jpg

BalsaDust, pawnshopmike and -Rick- like this.
  7. more 02-18-07 047.jpg 02-18-07 047.jpg 02-18-07 048.jpg 02-18-07 049.jpg

BalsaDust, pawnshopmike and -Rick- like this.
  8. and finally

Attached Files: