• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Lesson #1 from Bart, OPP

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The old Great Planes Cap 21 kit really hurt the Cap legacy. My old club had them as a club building contest project back in 85 or so. I think there were 9 built and only 2 lived till the contest day.

crazy! the guy that was teaching me to fly when I was a teenager built one too and i remember seeing the built up cowl all sanded and smoothed out with filler, that's the same kit, right?

pretty airplane but i guess not such a great flier. :(

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Bart, If you are looking for an old school plane like that perhaps you can get ahold of the plans and fix what made it heavy and also fix wing loading and airfoils up to modern standards and have a really cool plane that flies great!!!:yesss: I missed the golden age of "more wood the better" in airplane building but have seen some prime examples at fun-fly's and auctions.

SleepyC

150cc
I missed the golden age of "more wood the better" in airplane building but have seen some prime examples at fun-fly's and auctions.

Man, when I had "wild eyes" and used to buy ANYTHING that was cheap and big at swap shops the HORRORS I would find at home. 3 layer think ply fuse sides, 2x4" landing gear plates. My REAL first gasser was a home built plane with a G62 on it. It had a 72"wingspan and weighed like 32 lbs. Never could figure out why it snapped and crashed on take off... (after getting up to speed for 2500 feet...)
:rolleyes:

I was spotting for a guy at a fly in last year, I think.... And I told him that I would call out airplane locations and if the center was open for him to do something. Everytime I called out a location, he would look. I asked him to not look at the other airplanes flying. I will take care of that. Called another airplane, he turned and looked. Told him again, fly your airplane. 3rd time, same thing. 4th time he did it, I said, I'm done! You watch everything and I'll go sit back with a cold drink. And then I walked away. Then he come back to me and asked why I left. I explained everything again, and how you look around at other airplanes when I call an airplane inbound or what.... You can't do that, otherwise you will be in a bad situation. Everyone will ask, what happened when it meets the ground.... And If I'm there, I'll chime in and say, the pilot is a big dumbass! Can't fly his airplane without watching other airplanes.

I'm a hardass when it comes to me spotting for someone. You do something I don't like, I will let you know about it.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yep...gotta rely on your spotter!!!! I've had friends call for me during IMAC contests where two lines were running....and every time I tell them, "Your primary job is making sure my airspace (what my plane will need for the next maneuver) is clear...NOT calling the sequence". One friend told me during a round that he didn't think he was being very helpful to me....but my reply was that his excellent spotting was allowing me to focus on MY flying without distraction from worrying about where the "other" plane was!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
so Earle, you have the sequence memorized or you tell them keeping you safe is more important than worrying about the sequence? i guess you couldn't memorize the unknowns in the time you'd have so maybe it's my second guess

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yeah, the known is memorized and practiced enough to know it well. I do memorize the unknowns, but certainly rely on my caller for help there....but still, clearing the needed airspace is primary. I'd much rather zero a maneuver than whack my (and their) plane :(. A good caller can do both! :cheers:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm a hardass when it comes to me spotting for someone. You do something I don't like, I will let you know about it.

Perfect! I'll spot for you and you spot for me at 3D Extreme in a few weeks! I'm just like you! I like to know where planes are but not EVERY single plane that is nowhere near where I am headed. I also ask questions as a pilot like, Am I clear down the runway, am I clear on the deck, clear for a pop-top show center, etc. etc. Seems to work quite well.

Sorry Bart, this does not help your situation much but spotting is an important task at any event. I've been at several small fun flies when they call out spotter required because of sheer number of pilots and you always hear that one guy in the back "what's a spotter". Always good to announce what the spotters basic primary function is at the pilots meeting:way_to_go:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
My friend Tony and I have been spotting for each other for years. Even in a non event environment it nice to have a set of eyes watching out for you. I find it extremely helpful now that I'm also flying helicopters. Something you don't dare take your eyes off of.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Perfect! I'll spot for you and you spot for me at 3D Extreme in a few weeks! I'm just like you! I like to know where planes are but not EVERY single plane that is nowhere near where I am headed. I also ask questions as a pilot like, Am I clear down the runway, am I clear on the deck, clear for a pop-top show center, etc. etc. Seems to work quite well.

Sorry Bart, this does not help your situation much but spotting is an important task at any event. I've been at several small fun flies when they call out spotter required because of sheer number of pilots and you always hear that one guy in the back "what's a spotter". Always good to announce what the spotters basic primary function is at the pilots meeting:way_to_go:

not a problem at all. as someone that never really went to events and just flew with friends at the club field, i'm new to the "spotter" conversation to be honest.

i wrecked because i was in bad form and forgot how easy it is to lose control when you take your eyes off your plane. this thread was meant to help others to avoid doing the same. it's my job to put this kind of thing out there even when's it's embarrassing to me personally.

we should start a new thread in the Beginners' Lounge about the role of spotters at events and even when flying at busy club fields. who'd like to begin?