• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Less pitch for easier landings?

njswede

150cc
Oh, and another problem is that there's a line of 90' trees on the windward end of the runway, so I have to either make a tight turn below the treeline or come in just above the treetops and try to lose speed and altitude at the same time. I can harrier the plane at crawl speed, but that's not how I want to land.

Twister

70cc twin V2
1700 seems like a high idle I use 1200 low idle 1600 high idle on my gp 123 on a 104 slick and have to get down to 900 low idle 1200 high on my mvvs 126 on my EL 110 yak to slow it enough to land
Same here I have a ground idle and landing rpm around 1100-1200 and a flying rpm around 1700 on a sw. on my gp 123 w/ 27 x 11 x 3 blade

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
More diameter and less pitch will help the landing speeds and that idle sounds too high. If my Carf Extra idle is too high it will sail across the field with the wheels a foot off the ground. With the idle set right it lands just fine.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
1700 seems like a high idle I use 1200 low idle 1600 high idle on my gp 123 on a 104 slick and have to get down to 900 low idle 1200 high on my mvvs 126 on my EL 110 yak to slow it enough to land

Exactly what I was thinking about. Get the engine warm on the ground and set it down so that it idles reliably (good to do after a flight because engine idle lower when warm). Now set an "idle up" switch to flying RPM of about where you are now. Flip that switch on just before take off and flip it off when you are setting up for landing. I do this with a pretty low ground idle because I like to fly the plane to the ground with a little throttle and not completely chop it until it's touching the ground.

27x11 is a fast prop. I have one on my CAP but it does still land good with my idle up / down switch. Larger dia is very nice too if it fits your flying stile. I like the Falcon "wide" props.

njswede

150cc
The 27x11 is a lot of fun. Insane speed and power and excellent for pop tops and other high energy stuff! Once I get the energy out of the plane, it's amazing for low and slow too. Hovers at 1/4-1/3 throttle.

njswede

150cc
About the idle: I'm probably just a little too paranoid about it stalling. But you're right: Once it's warm, it's pretty solid. I've got a DLE120 in it if I didn't already mention it.

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
More tail weight drag that girls ass in lol. Some of my planes I have tail heavy just for this. Not crazy tail heavey but enough that it slows right down. I see a lot of guys same plane similar setup but way to nose heavy and sail off the end of the runway lol.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
I agree on two things that has been discussed but if used together you can achieve a very noticible difference.

#1, Pitch down, re tune and set idle and idle up for flight
#2, ease the cg back as far as you can without changing your airframe characteristics too much.

A little movement back will get the stall speed lower. However, couple that with good prop braking and you will really notice a difference.