• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Less pitch for easier landings?

emtp275

100cc
I know what you mean @njswede, I have only 6 flights on my 104 and use the entire runway at our field, one landing I had it on the ground all 3 wheels and knew I had the speed low eunf to pull elevator and get ready to taxi back but nope it slowly rose back in the air about a foot, This plane will fly at a walking pace on the wings I almost cant believe a plane of this weight can fly so light.

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
My 104" has three batts behind the rudder servo in the turtle deck lol. Dle 111 and a 28/10 prop she floats in just right

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Im fairly sure the answer to my issue is "6 flights" LOL I need to get use to the plane
Well I could help ya, all ya gotta do is hand me transmitter, and I'll land her. I'm not sure that 28x9 you moved up to slows her down, any better than that 27x10, but she sure sounded happier, and the 111 spun it with authority.

njswede

150cc
I know what you mean @njswede, I have only 6 flights on my 104 and use the entire runway at our field, one landing I had it on the ground all 3 wheels and knew I had the speed low eunf to pull elevator and get ready to taxi back but nope it slowly rose back in the air about a foot, This plane will fly at a walking pace on the wings I almost cant believe a plane of this weight can fly so light.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have less than 10 flights on mine. And I've had the same experience on taxi. Faster than crawl speed and it will try to take off again. That plane just doesn't like to stay on the ground! :) On the flipside, it hs the easiest harriers I've ever experienced and a virtually non-existent stall transition.

Airbike

New to GSN!
Your last statement is the key to these aerobatic planes' forte; they transition seamlessly between wing bourn flight and 3D/thrust vectored flight.

I flew a 28x12 on my Edge for years so it is not the prop pitch that is making the plane land fast.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the basic secret...

Here is the "SECRET": The airplane's "Attitude" controls the speed and the Power/Throttle controls altitude. If you learn to balance these two controls (elev and throttle) you will be able to slow the plane to zero airspeed (hover) and transition into forward flight.

As an extreme example, you can fly a slow approach with nose high and low throttle until the plane starts to descend, then add more power and elev until it is in a hover. I regularly land from a hover so these planes are fully capable.

I wouldn't recommend doing harrier landings until you are very comfortable with the plane's slow flight (almost harrier attitudes) but these planes will transition from harrier to slow flight effortlessly. The main thing to learn is to use the throttle on approach to control the altitude and use the attitude to control speed. Approach too fast? raise the nose until it slows and add power as needed to control descent.

You'll never see an airliner make a nose down approach to land. As suggested earlier, practicing slow flight will get you comfortable with the planes' speed and attitude.

At least practice is fun. Good luck.

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
Pistolera mentioned slips. It has been my experience that on today's planes, you do not need to be adept at full-on slips to bleed off enough speed to land if you are a little fast. Just a LITTLE bit of rudder with a LITTLE bit of opposite aileron will bleed airspeed nicely if you happen to be a little hot on approach.

Regards,

Astro