• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Knife edge spin.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I usually just fumble around at the top of the up line til it happens.

(response to Gyro. I forgot to quote it)

I Love Nachos

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The way I have always done it is

(Mode 2)

Take it high and point the nose at the ground

Then do all these inputs at the same time.

Left stick - full right rudder and half to full throttle - Right Stick - Full down elevator and full left aileron

then slowly slide the aileron out of the equation by sliding the right stick back to center (or close to it) but still hold full down elevator.

Once its in the maneuver you can pull out the throttle if you want to.

Right or wrong that the only maneuver I can hit every damn time and that's how I do it!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I tend to start rolling from a vertical line, then quickly feed in appropriate rudder and elevator inputs while simultaneously releasing aileron input. I find most airplanes will snap into the spin cleanly this way, just takes some practice.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Phil Griffin;7280 wrote: Thanks. I'll give that a try. I usually just fumble around at the top of the up line til it happens.

(response to Gyro. I forgot to quote it)

awesome, let me know how it goes!

The Bonedoc, Wamsy, and VoroRC vids are an invaluable resource for 3D maneuvers. When I'm at the airfield pretending to know what I'm doing, I have one of those three resources on YouTube ready for my review.

I was trying this on my 107" pilot extra last weekend and had the hardest time getting into this maneuver. I finally gave up and tried a blender, accidentally gave the wrong sticks and got it into the knife edge spin, everyone though it was intentional... I decided to let them continue to the ink that :smile-new: I think my inputs were left aileron, down elevator, and left rudder, full throttle.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Ant;7831 wrote: Yup, those are the inputs, some planes get into it easier than others.

Agreed, almost everyone does it with the wrong rudder or both sticks to the right. With both sitcks to the left you are not fighting the prop rotation and it works much better.

Jetpainter;6856 wrote: Oh I quit jambing the sticks in the corner as soon as it quit working. The most annoying thing is when it does one spin and pops out of it. Last week I had some luck with just rudder and elevator.

I know there is a good combination, I just haven't figured it out yet.

It took forever to figure out what my 64" EF MXS needed. I finally figured out that it needed full elevator, moderate aileron, a TINY bit of rudder, and NOT full throttle. It always makes me wish I had kept planes that would do it with the sticks in the corners, like my old Kyosho Cap 232. That one would wind up incredibly fast...