• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Knife edge spin.

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
I have been trying knife edge spins.

I'm having trouble getting into them, once I'm there, it goes awsome.

Any advice / tricks on getting it started easier ?

I've watched some videos on YouTube that I'll try next time out.

Just looking for more help.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I've found that all planes react differently. Just have to find what works best for a particular airframe and do it. For me it seems easy to sometimes start almost like a slow blender except left rudder instead of right

gyro

GSN Contributor
2robinhood;6688 wrote: I have been trying knife edge spins.

I'm having trouble getting into them, once I'm there, it goes awsome.

Any advice / tricks on getting it started easier ?

I've watched some videos on YouTube that I'll try next time out.

Just looking for more help.

the KE spin is one of my favorite maneuvers... here is how I do it:

first, begin your upline to the height you want to enter, then cut power to idle.

as upward momentum stops, kick over the tail with some right rudder, so the plane's noes falls to the right.

then, add full down elevator, and some power to start the rotation.

Hole the wings vertical with rudder and aileron as required, but usually all you need is a pinch of rudder.

hope this helps!

sparkx38

50cc
It seems to be different with each plane for me. My bigger planes I like to do a upline and hammerhead it to the left. hold the left rudder, add left aileron and then slam both top left. Hold full throttle, full left rudder and full down elevator while moving the aileron toward neutral and stop and hold when you see it fall into it. check out this video at about 5:15 it'll give you the idea.

Also some of my smaller planes I like to input full left rudder no throttle and simultaneously full right aileron and full down elevator and then immediately full left rudder/full throttle and full down elevator while moving the aileron toward neutral and stop and hold when you see it fall into it.

My experience is every plane is a little different when it comes to how much (if any) aileron to apply

Hope that makes since and helps you.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
This is something that has been driving me crazy lately. My Pilot 50cc Edge used to be super easy to get to knife edge spin. Just climb, do a stall turn at the top, and jamb both sticks in the top left corners and instant knife edge spin. Then I moved the CG just slightly forward and now it's hit and miss. I've tried both more and less rudder and elevator and just when I think I found the magic combination it changes. I'd really hate to move the CG back because it flys so good where it is.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Jetpainter;6727 wrote: This is something that has been driving me crazy lately. My Pilot 50cc Edge used to be super easy to get to knife edge spin. Just climb, do a stall turn at the top, and jamb both sticks in the top left corners and instant knife edge spin. Then I moved the CG just slightly forward and now it's hit and miss. I've tried both more and less rudder and elevator and just when I think I found the magic combination it changes. I'd really hate to move the CG back because it flys so good where it is.

Instead of jamming the sticks in the corners, try this: once it's stalled and horizontal, try adding full down elevator only, then watch the plane... you can figure out what it needs from there, as it likely isn't full deflection aileron and rudder. Don't move CG yet, just learn the inputs again :D

sparkx38

50cc
gyro;6730 wrote: Instead of jamming the sticks in the corners, try this: once it's stalled and horizontal, try adding full down elevator only, then watch the plane... you can figure out what it needs from there, as it likely isn't full deflection aileron and rudder. Don't move CG yet, just learn the inputs again :D

+1

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Oh I quit jambing the sticks in the corner as soon as it quit working. The most annoying thing is when it does one spin and pops out of it. Last week I had some luck with just rudder and elevator.

I know there is a good combination, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Ant

50cc
I did extremely tight KE spins yesterday with my 91 Extra. Downline,roll left,add power and left rudder , full down and boom. If I add too much aileron, it gets messed up.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
This is sooo true.(in my experience anyway) I've had planes I couldn't get into that maneuver to save my life, and others that were easy(er).