• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sunday night and I am just as beat as I was Saturday afternoon when I got off work. Man, I really feel this working stuff is for the birds. LOL.

I made some progress on the Pitts last night and today. My plan was to get the top wings as close to being done as the lower wings as possible. I almost made it. I got the wing tips frames, sheeted and sanded today. Then it was onto cutting the ailerons free from the main wing structure. After that was complete, I got the wing trialing edges and the aileron leading edge pieces glued on. Tomorrow I will drill the hinge points then sand the bevel into the surfaces. Considering the thickness of the wing trialing edges and the aileron leading edges I think I am going to double bevel the surfaces. I think I will double bevel the rudder and may go back and double bevel the elevators. I don't really think they need it, but want to keep everything consistent. I also got the interplane struts pretty much finished up. With the leading and trailing edges sanded and shaped then a 400 grit final sand on them, they turned out pretty nice. The only other thing I may do to them is I may sand the arc of both the lower and top wing meeting surfaces. They fit the wing mounts perfect, but the curvature is not 100% absolutely matched to the airfoils of the wings. I also need to start planning the servo mounts in the wings. I need to order turnbuckles so having them in place will help in ordering the correct length needed for linkage setup. I plan this week to get the wings finished up and remounted to the fuse for a final pre-covering fit. I also plan to get the bottom of the fuse finished up so that I can focus on the final fuse sheeting. After that, I will fit the cowl and cowl ring. I still have a lot of work to complete on the Pitts, but it is finally coming down to the finishing stages.

20161120_172418.jpg
20161120_172539.jpg
20161120_172844.jpg
20161120_175045.jpg

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
On the wings you can double bevel them if you choose but really you do not need to because you will find that the pitts takes about half the throw a monoplane takes to get the same roll rate. Trust me when I test flew the prototype and even my 41% I had them setup like I would our Extra or MX and had to cut the throws way back.

Also, give yourself just a bit of wiggle room on the struts and stuff for when you cover the wings. It is amazing how a couple of thousandths of an inch can make the struts a pain in the ass to mount.

Kevin

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
nice pics. Sounds like you have done all the necessary planning ;)
Thank you. I am trying to stay ahead of the proverbial 8 ball. I've been known to get in a hurry and realize only when it is too late that...ugh, ya dumb a$$, why'd ya do that? Lol

On the wings you can double bevel them if you choose but really you do not need to because you will find that the pitts takes about half the throw a monoplane takes to get the same roll rate. Trust me when I test flew the prototype and even my 41% I had them setup like I would our Extra or MX and had to cut the throws way back.

Also, give yourself just a bit of wiggle room on the struts and stuff for when you cover the wings. It is amazing how a couple of thousandths of an inch can make the struts a pain in the ass to mount.

Kevin
I was thinking the very same regrading the covering Kevin. Hence the reason I wanted to sand a little more space in the arc of the struts. Plus, they are just a tick off from perfect on the airfoil. So do it all now and be done. I had forgotten about the 4 ailerons vs. 2. I think I'll stay with the single bevel. Thanks again Kevin.

Those struts look nice, plus you could have been a hand model like George on Seinfeld.:lol2:
Model? Hmm! Good thing I wouldn't be modeling anything other than the hands. Hee hee

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
What type of hinges are you planning on using?

I used dubro hinges on my 35% and replaced the cotter pins with a single piece of piano wire. I then put bent the tip end around and put a small ring terminal on it so that I could screw it to the bottom side of the wing tip. That way if I need for whatever reason to take the ailerons of any of the control surfaces off for work, just take the screw out, pull the pin and wah la! It's off.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What type of hinges are you planning on using?

I used dubro hinges on my 35% and replaced the cotter pins with a single piece of piano wire. I then put bent the tip end around and put a small ring terminal on it so that I could screw it to the bottom side of the wing tip. That way if I need for whatever reason to take the ailerons of any of the control surfaces off for work, just take the screw out, pull the pin and wah la! It's off.
Hey, pretty cool idea. But for myself, I don't think it is much of an advantage on anything smaller than a 35%. Then again, this Pitts is pretty good sized for a small plane. :lol2:

I wanted to use the flat style hinges. I was hoping there would be more meat on the trailing edges of the flight surfaces and the leading edges of the control surfaces. But since most have been using the Robart hinge points with no problems, I decided on them. I am considering gluing the control surfaces on before I cover the plane. I plan to "seal" the hinge line anyway so it won't be like it matters much. When I did the recover on my 260 and the Yak, I left all the surfaces attached. They both came out really nice. Plus I think it will give me an advantage of making sure there is plenty of epoxy on the "nubs" of the hinges. At least on the wings that is.

Four day weekend coming up and I am thinking I will get a ton of work done on the Pitts before Monday. :way_to_go: