• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC 2.7m Extra 300CS

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Paul,

Looking real good!!! as for the carbon, We NEVER have done it there and we actually make our planes with counter balances, NOT like other we know!! LOL

Al

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I don't always use counter balances, but if I did, I'd use carbon fiber reinforcements.
TheMostInterestingManInTheWorld_1426.jpg

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
reinforcing with carbon is not a bad thing but as my Dad said, we have never done it on any of ours and have had no issues so far.

Alky6

150cc
Agreed. Probably not necessary (adding carbon), but will probably do it as I don't see any drawbacks. Also, if I do decide I want to add some lightening holes (I'll make sure I don't put the carbon in the relief holes) it will add some stiffness that could be lost during the lightening. Probably won't add lightening holes, but won't rule it out just yet either. LOL. Decisions, decisions....

Alky6

150cc
So this is what I have settled on for carbon on the rudder. Going to use 0.007" carbon laminate along the TE, top, and a 45 piece at the top of the hinge line where it meets the counter balance. The 45 piece is mitigation for any potential stress risers where the hinge line meets the counter balance. And yes, I did start drawing it in backwards. Measure twice cut once right! LOL

image.jpg

Last edited:

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
If your running the cf to the bottom of the te stop an inch short for rounding out the tip of rudder , if your going to round it that is.
Keeps the tip from being damaged in a steep take off.
I usually measure 8-10x then start over again... thats why it took me 14 and some months to finish. LOL