• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
On the modern intel macs you can setup a dual boot with windows on its own partition. It works much better than parallels but does have the issue of having to reboot to switch between the mac os and windows. Ask at the apple store for more details.

3dNater

I just remembered... the apple product is called boot camp. When I used it a few years ago it was the best windows box I had ever used.

hone

150cc
I like a program called vmware fusion. If you have a pc with real flight and other programs you want on your mac just install the program and you can transfer your whole pc to your mac. The desktop, folders, etc., will all look just like it is on your pc when you open vmware. I actually go on RF in vmware while playing music from itunes on the mac side..

Last edited by a moderator:

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Wow thanks guys. Still just seems really complicated for me. I like the idea for the MAC but looking at prices it seems you can get 5 times the computer if it is an HP,DEll, or other windows brands for the same price. Really planning on a laptop so I can run a cord to the TV.

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
I went to the Mac Book for 3 big reasons. First, it is the ONLY laptop with a magnetic, break away power connector. I went through 5 laptops (1 Vaio, 2 HP, 1 Dell) because of the crappy co-ax power connectors that if kicked, ruin the mother board and then the whole computer is junk. The Mac power connector is magnetic and just pops off when pulled, no damage and no computer falling on the ground. Second, it is CNC machined aluminum, not cheap plastic. Third, if you have a iPad, IPhone, etc, it works seamlessly, with no third party programs.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I went to the Mac Book for 3 big reasons. First, it is the ONLY laptop with a magnetic, break away power connector. I went through 5 laptops (1 Vaio, 2 HP, 1 Dell) because of the crappy co-ax power connectors that if kicked, ruin the mother board and then the whole computer is junk. The Mac power connector is magnetic and just pops off when pulled, no damage and no computer falling on the ground. Second, it is CNC machined aluminum, not cheap plastic. Third, if you have a iPad, IPhone, etc, it works seamlessly, with no third party programs.

They also tend to last longer. So while you're initially paying more, you even out on the back end by getting a longer useful life out of it.

3dNater

Cardenflyer is right that you do get a lot more specs for your money going the pc route. I loved my dell xps laptop for about 8 months... until I had trouble with the power connector and dell's stupid need for a dell branded power supply. There is a tiny wire that serves the purpose of sending a signal to the laptop verifying that it is a genuine dell power supply and how many watts it can supply. Well that little verification system turns you computer down to a crawl if it doesn't check out and it fails long before the power supply or laptop. I have been fighting with it for 3 years and will never buy another dell laptop until they have simplified the charging system. As of last night they have no intentions of changing anything (I asked). Anyway my amazing computer (i5 with 8gb ram and the best video card available in a laptop as of 4 yrs ago) is worse than my wife's $299 special. It is too slow for realflight or any other game. It will barely stream videos right now and there is nothing wrong with it but the stupid charging system that basically works with the exception of the verification system. I ordered a part last night to hopefully fix it. I have had to break this laptop completely down 3 other times because of this issue and it is getting really old.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Well we ended up with a really nice Asus. Couldn't justify2000 plus for same computer for Apple. I have RF4.5, looks like I can just upgrade to 7, anyone done that? Need to get imac practice going when it's4 degrees out.

3dNater

Congrats on the new PC. I hope it works out well for you. I'm still waiting for a part to fix mine. Looks like it won't happen this week...