• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
What exactly do you guys mean when you say fine tuning and tinkering on setting up different rates and expo? I have triple rates, actually with the dx9 I have capabilities to setup more. Reason I ask is to see if there is more I should be doing or to see if I'm setting mine up right.

Great question and sorry we weren't more clear. Basically what you want to set up (and it depends on your flying style, plane, Tx and feel so I can't give you specific numbers) is that you are not over controlling and working too hard to maneuver the plane. So start with the basic setup (which done correctly is a long process)- Mechanical linkages, CG, thrust line aileron differential (axial rolls), trim, etc. When you are happy with that move to your rates and expo. As discussed above you don't want anymore throw than you need for the most demanding maneuver in your flight (that's the nice thing about multiple switch settings). The other thing you might look at is stick deflection for different maneuvers so they can be repeated accurately. If at 1/2 throttle a full stick deflection gives you a clean crisp snap roll it is more repeatable than a mid stick deflection. Obviously this changes with speed and power but better to start with a known. Does that make sense and help a little?
Like anything else with this hobby tweaking and more tweaking. In the end it makes the flying more precise and easier.
This is an expansion on the argument many of us have had with CFs about flying without expo vs with it. The more you can do to make it more precise and easier why not? (shy of gyros- an entire thread on its own, let's not go there). For instance on my 78 extra my throws on low setting run in the 20-30% of high rates with corresponding expo. I like my expo set so rate changes don't cause much if any control change. iMac- low, Acro mid (may be switching One, two or all controls, XA/, 3D- high (again may be high elev mid aileron depending in maneuvering). My rudder generally stays on high.
I hope that helps. Thanks for asking the questions. Sometimes the questions not asked are the worst ones!

***note***
In the IMAC Pro app there is a wonderful "Tip" link with a very thorough explanation and even charts and checklists for setup. There is an order that should be followed and Peter Goldsmith brings you through it step by step. Another great reason to use this app.
There are judging tips as well. Look at the freestyle judging sheets and explanations and you'll see where we are getting our motivation for XA flying. Just add "...the flight envelope and beyond"

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

I just finished a little practice session on RF 6.5 and have found a tip that may help people. I was looking for a better way to check lines and pulls (radii). I took out most of the terrain effects, added "trails" which leaves wingtip trails during the entire flight. With wind or without (better with to work on wind correction) it really worked well. You can takeoff and do your "trim pass" (allowed one in competition) and this would set your "base line". Then begin your sequence using the base line as a reference. You can see your pull radii and match them as well. I found that using manual zoom and "binoculars" was a good combo to check attitude. I added heading and altitude reference too but that was a little too much multi tasking! We all know the sim is not perfect but I found this new tip to give the session much better geometry and I was able to track much better lines even without the "ground always in view" option selected. Give it a try and let me know. Those who are recording maybe make a video of it on RF. I would limit to one sequence then reset or the "trails" will get a little messy.
Since there is white stuff falling (I'm afraid it's indoor season up here) we should try a few IMAC multi player sessions too. Later

SnowDog

Sounds like some great info Daren, I'll try that when I get home after Thanksgiving.
Totally agree on the weather aspect...online multiplayer IMAC training sounds like a great idea!

bubbagates

New to GSN!
Hi Everyone, I finally have permission to post and I just wanted to say that this is a cool thread. While I have not read it all, I see a whole lot of help being given. As was already mentioned, I am the developer of the Apple Version of IMAC Pro and a former regional director of the NE region of IMAC so I can certainly help.

I did see that there have been judging going on based on video, in all honesty, while this is a good tool, do not take it as gospel. There is so much that is missed in trying to judge via video, you cannot see if the pilot is keep a true and level line or if he/she is drifting out or in, is a loop or part loop round, things like that.

Last last question I see is rates and tweaking. rates are based on many factors with the main one being the feel that you like the most, like roll rate, eveltor sensitivity, etc..

May I suggest another app for everyone, it is for both Android and Apple and done by a friend of mine. It is simply called "Trim" (no quotes). It will ask you questions and then create and email you a report of what to do with your plane. It is very important when properly trimming a plane to start at the very first step. There is nothing like a plane that is properly trimmed. It will not do anything stupid and will totally predictable at all times and even the slightest change in it's behavior will cause you to notice it. Besides, it also takes a whole lot of workload of the pilot, even beyond IMAC style flying. When doing extreme stuff, your plane will react way better and totally predictable

dth7

Hi Everyone, I finally have permission to post and I just wanted to say that this is a cool thread. While I have not read it all, I see a whole lot of help being given. As was already mentioned, I am the developer of the Apple Version of IMAC Pro and a former regional director of the NE region of IMAC so I can certainly help.

I did see that there have been judging going on based on video, in all honesty, while this is a good tool, do not take it as gospel. There is so much that is missed in trying to judge via video, you cannot see if the pilot is keep a true and level line or if he/she is drifting out or in, is a loop or part loop round, things like that.

Last last question I see is rates and tweaking. rates are based on many factors with the main one being the feel that you like the most, like roll rate, eveltor sensitivity, etc..

May I suggest another app for everyone, it is for both Android and Apple and done by a friend of mine. It is simply called "Trim" (no quotes). It will ask you questions and then create and email you a report of what to do with your plane. It is very important when properly trimming a plane to start at the very first step. There is nothing like a plane that is properly trimmed. It will not do anything stupid and will totally predictable at all times and even the slightest change in it's behavior will cause you to notice it. Besides, it also takes a whole lot of workload of the pilot, even beyond IMAC style flying. When doing extreme stuff, your plane will react way better and totally predictable

Thanks Bill, welcome aboard. Great to have you here with your experience. I'm still fresh to IMAC and judging so your seasoned tips will be a great addition to this growing thread. This group is passionate about flying and they "get it" that Extreme Aerobatics (XA) and 3D rooted in precision flying is the way to go. I'm thrilled that Snowdog started this thread and others are joining in. It's good for everyone and the hobby. Let's make some lines!

dth7

Last night my 71/2 year old girl came into the office, walked over and picked up my stick plane and my Sportsman sequence written on a card and began "Aresti dancing" her way through it with no prompting or urging from me! This turned into a sim session on the wide screen with her calling the Basic to me! She later was doing takeoffs, rolls, loops and 1/3 rev Cubans (with slowed physics). I may have an IMAC partner! Cool moment for dad.