• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Idiot Boy Builds an Old School World Engines Robin Hood 99 Kit

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Curiosity -- it's killed the cat. How many power inputs did you have to the receiver and how were they wired? Maybe you have already addressed this somewhere and I missed it.

I had two separate batteries (25c 2250mah 2s lipos) feeding the AR8000 via heavy wire gage and connectors (18awg / XT60) running through a moded miracle dual switch (replaced the supplied 3 amp DPDT switches with 6 amp DPDT switches). One battery was plugged into the bind / DAT (which I thought was bind / battery port) and the other battery plugged into the open aux3 port. Being new to spektrum have I messed up here? When I was doing my buddies Edge build he had the 9010 receiver that had two rows of ports. I mistakenly plugged stuff in the second row the same as the top row which is incorrect as I found out. It also has a specific battery port and a bind button instead of a bind port. I know spektrum is opposite on the way things plug in from Futaba except that blasted 2 row receiver. Spektrum: -+s which - is on top. Futaba: s+- which s is on top.
0718170242-00.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
One thing that I absolutely despise about spectrum in many of their receivers there is no battery port you have use the bind port or Y harness it in how stupid.
Have not used an expander on anything 50cc and less do you gentleman believe I am pushing the system and I should use a power expander please let me know.

Alky6

150cc
I had two separate batteries (25c 2250mah 2s lipos) feeding the AR8000 via heavy wire gage and connectors (18awg / XT60) running through a moded miracle dual switch (replaced the supplied 3 amp DPDT switches with 6 amp DPDT switches). One battery was plugged into the bind / DAT (which I thought was bind / battery port) and the other battery plugged into the open aux3 port. Being new to spektrum have I messed up here? When I was doing my buddies Edge build he had the 9010 receiver that had two rows of ports. I mistakenly plugged stuff in the second row the same as the top row which is incorrect as I found out. It also has a specific battery port and a bind button instead of a bind port. I know spektrum is opposite on the way things plug in from Futaba except that blasted 2 row receiver. Spektrum: -+s which - is on top. Futaba: s+- which s is on top.
View attachment 98654
I am not sure about the screwing up part, continuing my learning here as well. However, my suspicions are that you have found the problem - not enough "power feed" to the receiver bus. I do not have a lot of experience putting power hungry servos on a non-power safe receiver, but in an over abundance of caution, I am planning three power inputs on a six channel receiver to finish my mojo65 build. As @Snoopy1 has indicated I will use the bind port and two other ports using a y-harness. Probably totally overkill, but what I believe is necessary to ensure no brownout.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
One thing that I absolutely despise about spectrum in many of their receivers there is no battery port you have use the bind port or Y harness it in how stupid.
Have not used an expander on anything 50cc and less do you gentleman believe I am pushing the system and I should use a power expander please let me know.
Shouldn't need an expander on a 50cc. Unless it's just an issue with those BlueBird Servos. I'll be sticking with my MKS servos. :way_to_go:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
On my 50-60cc airplanes I run two 2500mah A123's. I've run several different types of switches, JR, Fromeco, and Booma. Each battery goes through the switch and into the Spektrum receiver. I've never ran a power expander. That setup has been great and totally problem free, even when some idiot (me) forgets to plug one of the batteries in and puts four flights on his airplane.:oblong:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I am not sure about the screwing up part, continuing my learning here as well. However, my suspicions are that you have found the problem - not enough "power feed" to the receiver bus. I do not have a lot of experience putting power hungry servos on a non-power safe receiver, but in an over abundance of caution, I am planning three power inputs on a six channel receiver to finish my mojo65 build. As @Snoopy1 has indicated I will use the bind port and two other ports using a y-harness. Probably totally overkill, but what I believe is necessary to ensure no brownout.

You make a very good point here about the "servo power bus". And I think (Just to feed our curiosity) I will open up the AR8000 to see if the bind/dat port is electronically isolated from the servo bus. I know it is on the Aura 8 but it is called B port and is an input.

I also hope all this discussion is slowing down Mikey I might get that target date yet:banana-dance:.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Shouldn't need an expander on a 50cc. Unless it's just an issue with those BlueBird Servos. I'll be sticking with my MKS servos. :way_to_go:

Agreed. Even their other servos in the BLS line up (2209's 3114's for example) use more power but their coreless versions do seem to be on par with other brands when it comes to power usage. But I bet even that monster torque MKS 380 slugs down the juice;).

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
what I do know is the bind port in the spectrum receiver's I have can be used to power the receiver. one thing that I have figured out some time ago, is the type of batteries being used with very high power servos. very high powered servos pull very high amperage for a millisecond. I needed batteries that are capable of 25c or higher to prevent to much voltage drop.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
what I do know is the bind port in the spectrum receiver's I have can be used to power the receiver. one thing that I have figured out some time ago, is the type of batteries being used with very high power servos. very high powered servos pull very high amperage for a millisecond. I needed batteries that are capable of 25c or higher to prevent to much voltage drop.

Yes and on the AR8000 a little red led lights up when plugging in power to the bind/dat port. The bat's I used were 25C. I finally got motivated and removed the rubble from my van to my NTSB hangar for investigation :geek:. The new servo amp tester I got is going to go to work!
Remarkably the only damage was to the fuse and canopy with some minor damage to the left wing panel (easy fix) and some scrapes to the top of the rudder fin. Stabs and elevator halves, Cowl, Engine, Spinner, Prop, Landing gear and wheels/wheel pants totally unscathed and are still perfect :). Well...maybe not the engine. Still runs with surging in the middle and lower middle (even after turning in the low 1/8th turn) making a steady rpm for hovering and such impossible. Upper midrange and top end is excellent though :confused:.
Can you tell me what the red led indicates? you can only see it from the side. I only see the normal Orange "link" light on top.

I will post some other pics in the "workshop" in a bit. Hate blowing up Mikes thread :cautious:. Ok not really :rolleyes:. Peace out Mike :joy:.

0830171616-00.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
No worries Kelly. You guys can spam up my thread all you want.:D Mikey don't care.

Not much done tonight. Mowed grass till dark this evening. So only had a few minutes of shop time. Still playing around with the radio/battery tray. I'll post a pic first chance I get. Maybe in the morning if I have time before work.