• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I hate getting F'ed on a motor

reyn3545

100cc
OK.. enough bitchin' about small things...

Bunky, if this doesn't get you to fix that MX-2 and start flying it again, nothing will.

Here's a picture of my original plane, from back in 2009, and the new one.  I would guess, given that the original plane owner got the plane for about half price, that the new one (green) was one of the last ones off of the line.  My original one was one of the first.

I tried to get the graphics package again, but the guy who made them for my CARF rep has since retired.  I looked at a few other Gary Ward graphics packages, but nothing was as close to the actual plane, so at least for now, I left them off.

I stuck the wings on the new plane so I can balance it and decide where to put the batteries, I think all I have left is to mount the batteries and receivers, then the wheel pants.  Those wheels on it are Skylights.. hate them, so I've ordered some White Rose wheels and axles.  It's a shame that $300 worth of wheels will be mostly covered with wheel pants.

IMG_4503.jpg

MX-2-a.jpg

reyn3545

100cc
Looks like the balance is going to work out fine.  The plane comes in at 36.25 pounds, and for starters, the CG is about 5 inches behind the LE of the wingtips, right where I wanted it to be.

At that weight, even with a full tank of gas we'll be well under 40 pounds, should be fun with the motor once I get it fixed.

reyn3545

100cc
Thanks.  I was going to shoot a couple of coats of clear on the plane before I started building it, then I decided to just buff it down to a smooth finish then apply a few coats of wax.  It's not quite as "wet" as a good clear coat job, but it took about an hour total and no wet sanding.  Looks good enough for me.

I flew my MX2 on 1L of fuel on the QS 150.  Enough for 13 mins of flying.  I have also thought of installing a 6oz header tank on this bird, just so that my brain doesn't forget to start the timer again.  I had thought about buying the stuff you just bought as well.  But at the time, I didn't have the extra $$ floating around.  But now I have some.  So, I'll shoot off an email to the Compy Rep and get the ball rolling.  I'll be looking at close to $2G's after its all said and done.  Then spend the time transplanting the guts from 1 to the other.  Then my other plan is to remove the pull pull and go to a direct push pull system. 
icon_smile.gif
  Since I need the tail weight, I figure why not....

But you will remember how well the airplane flys.  I'm ready for the winter and some rebuilding time!

reyn3545

100cc
I had planned to do rear mounted rudder servos too, but the rudder horns just aren't big enough.  When you think about the rear mounted servo arms sticking out about a half inch from the side of the fuse, the rudder horns can only swing in to that point.  This plane doesn't have a ton of rudder deflection when the horns swing all the way to the fuse, so I decided to do a traditional pull-pull to get all the rudder I could get. 

Now all I need to do is learn what the rudder is for anyway!

reyn3545

100cc
And, I was going to do crossed pull-pull lines, but doing so would make me cut a gap in the rear former... not a great idea on a CARF plane, So, I have an offset servo arm up front, but straight pull-pull wires... live and learn.

I just sent the email for rep parts.....  I feel a huge ouch coming.......

I hear ya on that.  Some measurements and check outs are in order.  Am I gonna need 2" arms on the rudder servos?  Nope.  I'm figuring on 1.5" arms. But I've been wrong before....... And using the balance mode in my XG11 to keep the servos from arguing alot. 
icon_smile.gif

reyn3545

100cc
I used 1.5 inch arms everywhere except the ailerons... 2 inch there. 

I also went with those new Savox 500 ounce servos in the wings, just one in each wing.  If they prove to be too weak, they're easy enough to pull out the servo mounts and add a second servo to each tray.  I've always been a Hitec fan, I like the programming ability, but since these didn't have to match up with anything, it was simple enough to stuff them in and see how they work.  Much less expensive than a comparable torque Hitec servo.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
reyn3545 said
I used 1.5 inch arms everywhere except the ailerons... 2 inch there. 

I also went with those new Savox 500 ounce servos in the wings, just one in each wing.  If they prove to be too weak, they're easy enough to pull out the servo mounts and add a second servo to each tray.  I've always been a Hitec fan, I like the programming ability, but since these didn't have to match up with anything, it was simple enough to stuff them in and see how they work.  Much less expensive than a comparable torque Hitec servo.
Do the Savox servos not have the programming capabilities the Hitec's have? I was really thinking of getting some Savox for the next project. If they don't have programming, what can a guy do short of buying a match box or the like?