• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I hate getting F'ed on a motor

reyn3545

100cc
So, I bought a CARF MX-2 and 3W 157 CS Twin Spark from a guy a few months ago.  The plane had never been put together, and the motor supposedly hadn't been mounted or started since it came back from Gerhard at Aircraft International for a checkup.  

The airplane is absolutely as he described... not a scratch or dent on it, a great job had already been done on the canopy and cowl. I purchased all the servos, cables, wheels, etc.. that I would need to build the plane ( I had another one about 4 years ago), and started bolting things together in between business trips.  The previous owner had already drilled mounting holes for the motor.  I purchased an offset mount, and the motor bolted up with the perfect right thrust.  

I got around this weekend to setting up a throttle, connecting the exhaust, and fitting a prop on the motor... now I know why the previous owner decided to sell the plane.

One of the exhaust bolt holes is stripped, and one of the prop bolt holes in the prop hub is stripped.  Nice.  

Now, I have to box the motor and ignition modules up and send them to Gerhard for repair.  Given the damage that I found, there's no telling how much more may be going on in there that I don't know about.  The cylinders and pistons looked pretty clean from a visual inspection, but I think I better ask Gerhard to take the heads off and give the motor a full inspection.  

The worst part is that Aircraft International is closed until November 3.  So, I have to wait a week or so, send it in, then get in line behind everyone else that's had their motors sitting in his shop for the past 2 weeks already.  

Even after I pay for these repairs, I still got a good deal on the plane and motor, I just with this guy would have been honest about the motor he was selling.  To some extent, that's what you get when you buy anything used, so I can't get too bent out of shape about it.  Still makes me mad.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sorry to hear about your woes.... I think I would be a little upset as well. It's just my opinion and how I myself do things...but I feel there is a certain degree of honor or better yet, a certain "code" that we all should stand by. If what ya got for sale has an issue or isn't the "best", then say so and adjust your price accordingly. I would sooner pay a little more for something that I know is worth it, even if that item needs a little "sumthun", than to be told it is "AWESOME" and find out later that there are issues. At the end of the day, all you got is your integrity. Gerhard usually has record of all the motors he works on. I would check with him to see if in fact there was work done on that 3dub. I can not believe He would send it out of his shop in that condition unless....the previous owner refused needed repairs. I know it bites.... Hang in there....

reyn3545

100cc
Oh, Gerhard did work on it.. about a year ago.  The guy sent me the receipt with the motor.  I know Gerhard wouldn't release a motor with those obvious problems, so there's a chapter or 2 missing out of this motor's maintenance log.  These motors are great when they're running, much more torque and power than a DA170, so once it gets back (as long as Gerhard doesn't find any other major issues), it should be a real screamer... I just hate when someone boxes up their mistake and tries to tell you it's good as new.   

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
reyn3545 said
Oh, Gerhard did work on it.. about a year ago.  The guy sent me the receipt with the motor.  I know Gerhard wouldn't release a motor with those obvious problems, so there's a chapter or 2 missing out of this motor's maintenance log.  These motors are great when they're running, much more torque and power than a DA170, so once it gets back (as long as Gerhard doesn't find any other major issues), it should be a real screamer... I just hate when someone boxes up their mistake and tries to tell you it's good as new.   
For sure.... I'm with ya. That being said, keep us posted on the outcome on that beast. I have one also...not the TS version. Yanks my 42 pound 260 around like it aint even there. LOVE IT.... I do.

reyn3545

100cc
Will do.  The MX-2 is rated from a 100cc to a 150.  I had a DA170 in my previous one, and it was amazing fast, even with canisters and a 3-blade.  The 157 fits better into the cowl than the 170 did, except for at the carb opening.  I guess the carb sticks down further on the 3W than it did on the DA, so I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the cowl just for the carb to stick through.  I'm not using the air intake, the motor didn't come with it, but I think it would only make me hack the cowl up some more.  

I'm not a huge fan of the old Tillotson carbs they used on these motors, but once they are tuned, folks seem to like them... we'll see.  The only other 3W I've ever owned was a 170 on a H9 Ultimate years ago.  Great, powerful motor, but with the standard exhaust, it was LOUD.   

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
reyn3545 said
Will do.  The MX-2 is rated from a 100cc to a 150.  I had a DA170 in my previous one, and it was amazing fast, even with canisters and a 3-blade.  The 157 fits better into the cowl than the 170 did, except for at the carb opening.  I guess the carb sticks down further on the 3W than it did on the DA, so I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the cowl just for the carb to stick through.  I'm not using the air intake, the motor didn't come with it, but I think it would only make me hack the cowl up some more.  

I'm not a huge fan of the old Tillotson carbs they used on these motors, but once they are tuned, folks seem to like them... we'll see.  The only other 3W I've ever owned was a 170 on a H9 Ultimate years ago.  Great, powerful motor, but with the standard exhaust, it was LOUD.   
I am truly not an authority on this motor. Just know what I have experienced. I personally like the Tillotson. It did take two flights to get her dialed in, but man I will tell ya, no fussin' or messin' with the needles like I see so many guys constantly doing with theirs. I now have 45 flights on her and other than my ball link dropping off when my exhaust dropped a couple of weeks ago...hot exhaust melted the ball link..(TOTALLY MY FAULT), that motor has not failed me not one time. I am running the L-80 3W exhaust. Quiet and super dependable. It really likes the Falcon CF 32x10. Around 6100k static. 

reyn3545

100cc
That's good to hear.  I'm pretty sure the 170 that I had a few years ago had a Walbro on it, so I haven't had any experience with the Tillotson, just heard from a few others that they were a little harder to get dialed in. I agree with you though, some of those folks that are constantly tweeking the needles on their carbs are just asking for trouble.

That really sucks, Mike.  Hearing you have another MX2, makes me want to get mine going again.  Did you get the one in the green Gary Ward scheme?  It come out of PA?  If it is the same one I'm thinking of, the one who sold it said he got hosed on it too.  So, it may be a cursed motor.....

No need to send the motor to Big G, unless you have already sent it.  Helicoils are a wonderful thing.  If you aren't up for it, I'll tackle it for you.  Gerhard would do 1 of 2 things.....  Change the hub (given) and either helicoil the exhaust manifold or upsize it to 6mm.

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

new jug, rings and a hub,,, about 5-600 bucks. And if you update to the latest and greatest 3WM2 ignition units(2ea), add another 450.00

reyn3545

100cc
Bunky.F.Knuckle said
That really sucks, Mike.  Hearing you have another MX2, makes me want to get mine going again.  Did you get the one in the green Gary Ward scheme?  It come out of PA?  If it is the same one I'm thinking of, the one who sold it said he got hosed on it too.  So, it may be a cursed motor.....

No need to send the motor to Big G, unless you have already sent it.  Helicoils are a wonderful thing.  If you aren't up for it, I'll tackle it for you.  Gerhard would do 1 of 2 things.....  Change the hub (given) and either helicoil the exhaust manifold or upsize it to 6mm.

Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Yep, that's the one.  I found his thread on the motor a while back.  Given all the crap in that thread, combined with what I've found just bolting headers and a prop on the motor, it probably needs a good once-over from Gerhard once he gets back.

I had considered drilling the exhaust out to 6mm and re-threading, but the CS heads have some additional porting on the exhaust... I'd hate to drill into open air. 

I hope Gerhard doesn't decide to replace the head, but even if he does ding me for $500... the overall deal on the plane/motor would be good.  I expected to find something during the build.. there had to be a reason that the original owner let it sit in his shop for over a year. 

I thought about just using a longer bolt on the prop hub, and adding a matching bolt on the other side.  If the hub is threaded all the way through , that might work, but that's the cheap part.