• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion How to Land a 3D airplane

wedoitall

ill try to get some inabit. cant deceide if I wanna go fly or rehinge the elevator and rudder in my slick. I was outside in the heat for about 5hrs today in a suit and its kicked my butt

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
This cant be overstated---Throttle controls rate of descent. Elevator controls airspeed. Having a "tight" landing area I have been contemplating landings and a lot of the tricks to a smart approach and gracefull landing. In my situation I come over a pond and need to land fairly quickly. I used to harrier in and plop her down. Now I make the approach lower remembering the fundementals and soon as it comes over the lz 2-3 feet high I fly it down to 1 foot and bleed the speed off adding more an more elevator till she sets down. Due to my short landing area I tend to exagerate the flare when at near full up elevator almost at stall. I give burst of throttle and full up elevator just to get the nose up and kill my forward momentum without the big plop. Typing this post has helped me think through my landings and Ben's write up has inspired me to really work on my landings. Thanks for the article.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Of the 9 3D planes I have owned my 60" Extreme Flight Edge lands the best. Extremely easy. My 3DHS 47" SHP was the hardest to land as it wanted to fall out of the sky when it got slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Of the 9 3D planes I have owned my 60" Extreme Flight Edge lands the best. Extremely easy. My 3DHS 47" SHP was the hardest to land as it wanted to call out of the sky when it got slow.
I noticed that too about the SHP. You've got to work it all the way down. It'll play tricks on you, my assumption being because of all the upthrust in the motorbox. Luckily I have yet to bounce it with about a dozen flights, but it keeps me on my toes!

I noticed that too about the SHP. You've got to work it all the way down. It'll play tricks on you, my assumption being because of all the upthrust in the motorbox. Luckily I have yet to bounce it with about a dozen flights, but it keeps me on my toes!

I went with the Edge when I heard that you get more low speed stability with a straighter leading edge. The SFGs on the EF 48"Edge are monstrous compared to my friend's SHP. I lets me hold it up off the deck until it slows down enough to touch it down. I just have to aim for the very beginning of the strip if I'm carrying to much speed.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Interesting. Maybe the edge would be the ticket for my shoe box!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rifraf

New to GSN!
Great thread and article. I had the similar issues with the SHP I had, which recently met its demise. My opinion was that the SHP has such a short fuse and configuration, it's almost impossible to get a decent balance on the battery location. For a pure 3D ship that you harrier land, perhaps it's just right. But, when you're used to just about every plane you've ever flown having a hard time coming out of the air, it's hard to get used to the amount of throttle required to keep the SHP aloft between 5 feet to 1 feet from the runway. Thanks for the tips, will be practicing more, for sure.